On the Block: Dern's Skivvies

Facebook group magnate Nathan J. Dern ’07 is freeballing. “I don’t usually wear underwear, because I wear pants, and I
By Alexander J. Dubbs

Facebook group magnate Nathan J. Dern ’07 is freeballing.

“I don’t usually wear underwear, because I wear pants, and I wash the pants,” he says.

Since Dern neglects his undergarments, his enterprising roommates Isaac H. Ravishankara ’07 and Joseph L. Abel ’07 have invented a new use for them.

“[We] are interested in testing the market for used Nathan Dern underwear,” Abel, who is also a Crimson photography co-chair, wrote in an e-mail over the Leverett House open list. “If you think you would be interested in purchasing one or more pairs, please let us know.”

Despite his aversion to the ubiquitous article of clothing, Dern owns 40 pairs, most of which are gifts from his mother.

“My mom has given me a lot of them,” he says. “For Valentine’s Day, she’ll send me Valentine’s Day underwear. For Arbor Day, I get underwear with trees on them.”

Though his current hirsute state (which several of his self-created Facebook groups celebrate) might suggest otherwise, Dern claims he won the rest in charity modeling competitions in high school.

The Dern collection is split evenly between boxers and briefs, but lately he has opted for the latter.

“I find that things start to hang and droop more than they used to, so I need the added support of the briefs,” he said.

While he doesn’t care much for wearing his underwear, he often enjoys swirling the garments above his head while he busts a proverbial move.

“I dance,” he says, “violently and awkwardly, so the combination of that makes the clothes just go wherever.”