Olypmic Games A Triumph Of Internationalism

By Emily A. Bruemmer

To the editors:

Opening the paper this morning, I was saddened to read Brian Rosenberg’s cynical take on the recent Olympic Winter Games in Turin, Italy (“The Olympic Tragedy,” comment, Mar. 1). Did we watch the same games? I have loved the Olympics since I was first cognizant of them, initially viewing them as an opportunity to learn about other countries and now as an affirmation of my faith in internationalism.

In this belief, I am not blinded by my own idealism. The Games are not perfect. Since their original incarnation in Ancient Greece, there have been athletes who cheated for the sake of a token or who exploited their superstar status. There will always be those who resort to such methods, and it does not take technology or modernity. The Games continue to occur because the people devoted to the ideals of fair play and athleticism, such as Baron de Coubertin, have maintained a strong, optimistic position against such negativism.

I also wonder what the point of criticizing the spectacle of the Games—as embodied by the opening ceremonies—has on the bearing of the editorial’s main argument. As the host country, Italy presented a panorama of its heritage, which does, in fact, include the Renaissance, the Alps, and yes, cows. It is unfortunate that this creative display of tradition is dismissed as a “theater of the absurd”, rather than taken as the celebratory tribute that it was. Indeed, even the Opening Ceremonies have already been a theater for overtures in international diplomacy: this was the first Winter Olympics where the two Koreas marched under one flag.

This two-week display of human endeavor and international accord succeeds because the values of the Games are ultimately more powerful than the divisive forces embodied by world wars, racism, or corrupt figure skating judges. Baron de Coubertin’s vision remains intact. During the last two weeks, the world was once again host to something thoroughly improbable: a gathering of approximately 2,700 athletes from six continents, demonstrating the best that our world has to offer in sportsmanship and sheer will. I find this no tragedy.

EMILY A. BRUEMMER ’09

March 1, 2006