A Price Too High

The National Civilian Community Corps should be expanded, not cut

By Paul G. Nauert

Buried deep within the federal budget presented by the White House a month ago, one cut epitomizes the hypocrisy of an administration that loudly touts its “moral values,” “patriotism,” and calls to “service” for all Americans.

The Bush Administration plans to swiftly gut the National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC), claiming it is simply not cost effective. The program is slated for a $22 million cut, with just enough funds left to shut itself down over the next year. Community youth service is apparently a “luxury” America cannot afford at the moment.

The NCCC is the pièce de résistance of the entire Americorps Program, founded in 1993 by President Clinton as a way to promote a community service ethic among American youth. The program demands an intense commitment from its participants, embarks upon ambitious national projects, and engages deeply with the communities it serves.

Each year more than 1,100 18 to 24-year-olds gather on five residential “campuses” around the nation. These young citizens spend ten months away from home as part of small teams working together on service projects. During these months, they share meals, challenges, and extraordinary experiences with each other. In the process, profound bonds are forged that transcend class, race, and region, building a genuine sense of national community.

These extraordinary experiences take place in the forests, rural towns, and urban communities across the U.S. NCCC projects have included tutoring, low-income housing repair, and ecological restoration. Yet, perhaps the most incredible chapter of the organization is being written these very months. In the wake of Katrina’s devastation, the NCCC dramatically refocused their efforts and manpower on disaster relief in the Gulf region. According to the Washington Post, at least half of current volunteers are serving, or have served, in Louisiana or Mississippi.

These young men and women have added much-needed work and resources to the region. But the most important item they brought cannot be measured in any neat bureaucratic report. They carry with them a hopeful vision of a national community that serves together and sacrifices for each other. As these teams from different backgrounds work side-by-side with residents, an uplifting image of another America arises from the storm wreckage. The NCCC points the way to a new America where the troubles of any group—however small or poor—are a challenge to be met by the entire national community.

However, the White House deems the NCCC “extremely expensive,” unworthy of continuation. “Expensive” is more a matter of priorities than an objective fact in a massive federal budget. For example, the entire annual cost ($27 million) of America’s only national, public, full-time youth service program is roughly equivalent to the price of about three hours of US occupation in Iraq.

Natural disasters have exposed not only our logistical incompetence, but also the deeply fractured state of American society. NCCC is a platform of practical help and a bright beacon of hope. Its activities, rather than being harshly cut at the height of their success, should serve as an inspiration and provide a model for expanded programs.

Speaking days after Katrina hit, President Bush reminded Americans that “we’re tied together in this life, in this nation—and that the despair of any touches us all.” Remember your own words, Mr. President. Do not cut NCCC funding. Expand upon it and all those programs that unite the energy of America’s youth with its greatest challenges.

Paul G. Nauert ’09, a Crimson editorial editor, lives in Grays Hall.