Survey Shows Students Want “Harvard-esque” Late Night Coffee Shop in Lamont Library

By Rachel L. Pollack, Crimson Staff Writer

Students envision the new Lamont Café as a coffee house in the style of the Lamont Reading Room, according to a survey conducted by the Undergraduate Council (UC) last month.

The UC survey, which was completed by 208 students in Lamont Library and Quincy Dining Hall, found that undergraduates want a “Harvard-esque” social space with tables and chairs available for quiet studying.

“We have a vision for what this café should look like in terms of what it should be serving, the hours it should be operating,” said the Student Affairs Committee’s chair Ryan A. Petersen ’08.

This vision includes a variety of baked goods, sandwiches, and beverages similar to those offered at other campus cafes.

When asked about operating hours, the largest plurality of students said they would most likely use the cafe between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.

In light of these findings, and in accordance with a desire not to compete with the nearby Barker Center cafe, the position paper recommends opening the Lamont coffee shop from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday to Thursday nights, 3 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. on Friday, and 5 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. on Saturday night.

Randall S. Sarafa ’09 said the coffee shop is scheduled to open on Oct. 17 and will probably be located near the first floor entrance, in what is currently the reference room.

After successfully leading efforts to extend Lamont’s hours last year, UC President John S. Haddock said he is excited for the possibilities of a library cafe.

“There’s no disputing that Lamont is the social center on campus,” said Haddock. “A café will bring comforts to people working hard in the library.”

—Staff writer Rachel L. Pollack can be reached at rpollack@fas.harvard.edu.