SPORTS BRIEF: Track Fares Poorly at Heptagonals

By Gabriel M. Velez, Crimson Staff Writer

After the dust had settled on Franklin Field in Pennsylvania on Sunday, the Harvard women had taken seven and the men eighth at the outdoor Heptagonals Championships.

The Cornell men and women won the Ivy League with 152.5 and 129 points, respectively. The Crimson men finished the last day of the meet with 17, while the women had 64.50.

The latter had a very successful day on Sunday, with two athletes emerging as Heptagonals champions.

Captain Laura Maludzinski took home her second consecutive Heptagonals crown in the 1500 meter run with a dramatic finish. She beat out Nyam Kagwima of Cornell by just 0.1 seconds to take the event in 4:26.82.

Likewise, freshman Becky Christensen was a champion. She cleared 1.75 meters in the high jump to win the event for the Crimson.

Other runners of note include senior Stevie DeGroff, who took fourth in the 100 meter dash.

Freshman Dara Wilson impressed in her first outdoor Heptagonals with a second-place finish in the 100 meter hurdles.

In the relays, the team of Maludzinski, sophomore Erika Geihe, freshman Jan Ng, and classmate Aishlinn O’Callaghan took third in the 4 by 800-meter relay.

—GABRIEL M. VELEZ

Track and Cross Country