With Irvin at Helm, Squad Seeks Revenge

Despite beginning the season at the bottom of the depth chart, junior Richard Irvin will take the lead in the huddle tomorrow, becoming the third Harvard starting quarterback in three games.
By Madeleine I. Shapiro, Crimson Staff Writer

Tomorrow’s 1 p.m. contest between No. 22 Harvard (2-0) and Lehigh (1-2) at Goodman Stadium will be yet another test for the squad.

The subject is nothing new: try out a new quarterback.

This week will feature junior Richard Irvin starting behind the center, the third quarterback in as many games in 2006. Last weekend’s starter, sophomore Jeff Witt, is out two weeks with a separated shoulder.

“I’ve never been remotely through a situation like that,” Crimson coach Tim Murphy said. “I’ve never even, in twenty years of head coaching, had to go to my number three guy. So, it’s a brand new ball game, but Irvin can do it.”

The transition should not be too difficult, as the play calling will be strikingly similar to last week’s: handoff to senior running back Clifton Dawson—or pass only enough for Dawson to be effective.

The back has put up monster numbers in the first two games, scoring three touchdowns in the first 18 minutes of last weekend’s victory over Brown.

The problem for defenses tends not to be getting to Dawson, but rather tackling him.

“He’s obviously a very fast player,” Lehigh coach Andy Coen said. “But if you watch him, he has a lot of yards after tackles, and we just have to make sure when we contact him [that we] put him on the ground.”

All Harvard running backs have been aided in the first two weeks by a strong performance from the offensive line. Last weekend freshman Cheng Ho rushed for 56 yards and scored a touchdown to solidify the victory.

The biggest struggle will come on defense, where the Crimson will have a multi-front battle.

Lehigh junior quarterback Sedale Threatt is known not only for his ability in the air, but also for his feet. He is tied for the most carries for the Hawks this season and currently stands third in rushing.

“He’s probably the most athletic quarterback we’ll see this year,” Murphy said. “He’s a threat to take off with the ball every time he touches it, and that’s always a huge concern.”

This is all in addition to tailbacks Marques Thompson and Matt McGowan, who have each rushed for 150-plus yards this season.

But the threat of the run should not scare a Crimson defense that has is ranked first in Division I-AA. The team has allowed just 75 rushing yards and has posted 10 sacks for 61 yards in the first two games.

Harvard will be slightly weakened by the loss of sophomore linebacker Sean Hayes, who will be replaced by his classmate Glenn Dorris for tomorrow’s game.

In the air, Threatt has solid targets in the form of senior receivers Frank Trovato and Lee Thomas, who have combined for 395 yards in three games.

Yet Lehigh has had its share of scoring troubles. The squad has just seven touchdowns in three games, with four coming in a single game against Villanova.

Much of this comes as a result of Threatt’s streakiness. In the squad’s loss to Princeton two weekends ago, the quarterback was 13 for 21 with 207 yards passing but threw two interceptions.

“Sedale will be the first to tell you he did not play his best game last [game],” Coen said. “He just has to play within himself and execute plays when they are there and not try to do too much.”

Although this weekend is not a league game, Lehigh has been the Crimson’s toughest competition over the past few years. In the 2005 edition, Harvard fell to the Hawks, 49-24. This year, the squad hopes not only to avenge that loss, but to improve its record to 3-0.

“We’re motivated to win our third game,” Murphy said. “Our philosophy is zero down, one to go, one down, one to go. Now we’re two down, one to go. One game at a time. We’re motivated on our end.”

—Staff writer Madeleine I. Shapiro can be reached at mshapiro@fas.harvard.edu.

Football