Women's Hockey Barely Misses ECAC Lead, Ties Dartmouth

By Gabriel M. Velez, Crimson Staff Writer

No. 4 Dartmouth’s big guns scored and those of the No. 5 Harvard women’s hockey team did not on Friday night in a matchup that could have decided the regular season ECAC crown two months before the end of the season.

But the Crimson found its offense from its veteran forwards and fought the Big Green all night, earning a 2-2 tie when the final buzzer sounded and many of the players ran off to study for their upcoming finals.

Harvard (14-3-2, 11-2-1 ECAC) earned the tie by fending off 24 shots from Dartmouth (14-3-2, 12-1-1) in the final period and overtime. The Crimson also changed up its penalty kill to be tighter around the net and effectively repelled the Big Green during its two powerplays during this time.

“You have to be very careful about missteping in a game like this,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said.

The Crimson started off the scoring on a puck that co-captain Jennifer Sifers threw on net. Classmate Katie Johnston capped the game by beating Dartmouth goalie Carli Clemis during a 5-on-3 advantage in the second frame.

In between, two of the Big Green’s Olympians, seniors Katie Weatherston and Gillian Apps, scored, with each assisting on the other’s goal.

Women's Ice Hockey