POPSCREEN: T.I.

“Hurt (feat. Alfa Mega & Busta Rhymes)” - Dirs. Darian Forbes and Damon Thomas

By Eric M. Sefton, Crimson Staff Writer

His latest album, “T.I. vs. T.I.P.,” pitsIn the video for “Hurt,” T.I. echoes one of your mom’s favorite sayings—it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt. T.I.’s game might elicit a new level of parental disapproval, since it looks like it may end in gunshot wounds. The gritty, choppy video, shot in black and white, relies on close-up shots and attempts to create a hostile T.I. that not even a mother could love. the rapper’s dueling identities—the commercial T.I. and the rawer T.I.P.—against each other.

This track is meant to remind listeners that T.I. has street cred and should be feared, as well as loved, by fans.

While the video’s style takes pains to portray the rough underbelly of rap that no longer exists for some of its biggest stars, T.I. seems uncomfortable in a role he once played perfectly.

Though he can swing a chain imposingly, threaten the camera with a bat, and mimic pulling out a gun, the actions seem unnatural and unthreatening. The company T.I. keeps is slightly more intimidating. Alfa Mega’s appearance is menacing and fits the lyrics well. Surely no one wants to meet him in a dark alley. Busta seems more fascinated by his blinged-out jewelry than his verse.

Nevertheless, the beat is catchy, with a strong, fast tempo, and the guest verses add much to the track. Unfortunately, all the unoriginal video reveals is another rapper trying to show that he still knows what life’s like on the street.