SPORTS BRIEF: Three Former Crimson Rowers Compete in England’s 153rd Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Watched from the banks of the Thames River by approximately 250,000 spectators and seen by 4.5 million more viewers on live television, three Harvard graduates on Saturday became part of the history of a rowing institution.

Adam Kosmicki ’06, William ‘Brodie’ Buckland ’06, and Kip McDaniel ’04 were part of the teams making up this year’s 153rd Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race.

McDaniel and Kosmicki, who had been roommates at Harvard and successively stroked the Crimson varsity eight to victory, found themselves on opposite sides in this time out, with Kosmicki in the two-seat of the Oxford boat and McDaniel in the bow of the Light Blues. Buckland was the six-seat for Oxford.

All three grads have raced on the international circuit, McDaniel for Canada and Buckland and Kosmicki for the US.

Favorites Cambridge eventually sealed their success in the 4.25-mile race by one-and-a-quarter-lengths, but not before an initial lead from the Dark Blues that had hopes high amongst its supporters of an Oxford hat-trick, and gave the Cambridge boat a narrower margin of victory than had been predicted.

Cambridge eventually finished in 17:49, Oxford in 17:52, breaking Oxford’s two-year winning streak and bringing Cambridge’s lead in the series overall to 79 over Oxford’s 73, with one dead heat in 1877.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Crew