Put the Past Away

Harvard life is at last 50 percent more charmed

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The heavy hearts of Harvard’s Class of 1997, snowed under by winter and steamrolled by midterms, will finally find reprieve at the Yardfest performance of today’s hottest band: Third Eye Blind. Move over, Oasis; 3EB is here to stay. With bouncy but thoughtful gems like “Semi-Charmed Life” and “Jumper,” the San Francisco quartet has struck a chord with college students riding high: Clinton is president, “Ally McBeal” is on at nine, and things are looking up for the twenty-first century.

Why shouldn’t we smile? The cloning of Dolly the sheep has at last muted the virulent debate over bioethics, we’ve secured a budget surplus only a fool would deem exhaustible and the storm clouds of Cold War anxiety have retreated from view. America’s the prettiest girl at the dance.

Of course, the news isn’t all sunny. Our national champion Michael Tyson dallied in cannibalism in a recent bout with Evander Holyfield, but we at the Crimson are certain he will be back out of trouble—and back in our hearts—in a few brief months. Hang in there, Iron Mike!

The April 28 concert on the steps of Memorial Church well complements our domestic salad days: what better slogan of peace and prosperity than the words, “The sky was gold, it was rose / I was taking sips of it through my nose?” It’s a message we can all enjoy.

Yardfest’s opening act, the Upwelling, has drawn comparisons to Pink Floyd, the Police and Leonard Cohen. Commendable influences to be sure, but one wonders if the College Events Board mightn’t have chosen a group with a broader fan base: Aqua, of ”Barbie Girl” fame, leaps to mind. Apparently, the eponymous doll serves as a metaphor for soulless corporate conformity, a more resonant message with Harvard’s highbrow listeners.

The choice of Third Eye Blind was made in the spirit of universality, eschewing the flash-in-the-pan noise of Radiohead’s “OK Computer” or the ambitious, minor rapper known as Jay-Z. Stephan Jenkins, 3EB’s frontman, limns accessible pop music around such depressing subject matter as suicide and methamphetamine abuse. Who better to head up our spring celebration?

So relax, Class of ’97, and drink in the best rock since Ace of Base’s “The Sign” first hit the charts. The top’s down, the sun is shining, and Stephan Jenkins said it best: “That’s a good idea, break a promise to your mother.” We are left only to hope the good times keep rolling, at least for another decade or so.