Smith's June 18 Letter to the Faculty

Incoming Dean of the Faculty Michael D. Smith sent the following e-mail to the Harvard faculty on June 18:

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to thank all of you for the warm reception and many messages of good wishes sent these past two weeks. Though this short time has given me an opportunity to speak directly with only a few of you, it is clear that the Faculty is eager to move forward on the important initiatives already underway, such as the development of the new undergraduate program in general education and implementation of the recommendations of the Task Force on Teaching and Career Development, to name just two.

I am excited to get started. I have spent much of the past two weeks beginning to understand more deeply the opportunities, as well as the challenges, before us. To take advantage of these opportunities and to overcome these challenges, I will require your consultation and active involvement. I have much to learn from you, and I will greatly value your support.

Today, as I begin a long-planned family vacation, I want to report some steps I have taken to assure that the work of the Faculty continues apace. In particular, I am pleased to announce that:

• David Pilbeam, who will continue as Interim Dean of the Faculty until my return on July 15, has agreed to act on as senior advisor to the Dean of FAS for the next academic year. I’ll be relying on David, among others, to help facilitate communication between the many committees charged with the implementation of the new curriculum and improvements in our undergraduate experience. I am delighted that David has agreed to accept this role. We owe David profound thanks for this as well as for his gracious and forbearing stint as Interim Dean.

• Diana Sorensen currently Acting Dean for the Humanities, has agreed to serve as Dean of the Humanities for the next two years. Thanks are due not only to Diana, but to Maria Tatar who served so admirably for the first three years of this position.

• Theda Skocpol, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), has agreed to remain in office until a new dean is identified. Theda's gracious willingness to remain in this position will provide continuity of academic leadership while I take the appropriate time to consult with colleagues in the faculty and administration about the leadership and priorities of GSAS going forward. There will be multiple venues to honor Theda’s remarkable achievements as graduate dean, but for now let me simply thank her on behalf of the Faculty.

• Jeremy Bloxham, Dean for the Physical Sciences, has agreed to serve also as Acting Dean for the Life Sciences. Doug Melton, who chaired the Life Sciences Council, will now take up his responsibilities as co-chair of the new University-wide department in regenerative medicine. In Doug's case too, there is much to say and celebrate. I’ll make sure that there is an opportunity to do so, and I’ll soon seek your views concerning a successor to Doug.

This is the first of many messages to come. You can expect me to communicate frequently, informally as well as formally, as we move forward. Thank you again for your warm welcome, wise advice, and good wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Michael D. Smith