Crimson Begins to Defend Ivy Title

By Emily W. Cunningham, Crimson Staff Writer

2007 was a good year for the Harvard women’s basketball team. The squad brought back yet another Ivy League title to Cambridge, earning a bid in the NCAA tournament against the defending national champions. As the ’07-’08 campaign began, the Crimson returned four of five starters from its title squad, and was expected to wreak havoc on the Ivy League just as it had a year before.

But Harvard must now forget the glory of ’07 and look ahead. The Crimson (7-7, 0-0 Ivy) will officially begin its Ivy League title defense tomorrow night, when Dartmouth (2-9, 0-0) will visit Lavietes Pavilion in the conference opener for both teams. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Last season’s Ancient Eight opener between these two squads was one to remember, as the Crimson upset the two-time defending league champion Big Green in its own gym.

On that frigid day in Hanover, Dartmouth seemed an easy pick—its star captain, Ashley Taylor ‘07, would go on to win Ivy Player of the Year honors, and Harvard had recorded only two wins in its non-conference schedule. But the Crimson got a then-career-high 22 points from gutsy senior Lindsay Hallion, who shook off illness to lead Harvard to a come-from-behind 71-68 victory that jump-started its run to the league title.

364 days later, Dartmouth will hope history repeats itself—this time, in its favor. The tables have turned quickly in this rivalry: the Crimson is now the vaunted Ancient Eight champion, while the Big Green has just two wins under its belt as Ivy play gets underway. But Harvard is quick to point out that no game is guaranteed come January, and that the matchup between these rival programs should be as intense as ever.

“Believe it or not, non-conference doesn’t matter, and that was beneficial to us last season,” coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said. “Dartmouth’s record is deceptive, and we won’t pay any attention to it. [Coach Chris Wielgus] has got them playing hard—they don’t have as many wins as she’s used to, but they’re going to be tough.”

While a team’s non-conference record doesn’t matter in the standings—as the Ivy League knows all too well after watching the Crimson coast to a conference title after an abysmal performance in November and December last season—Harvard recognizes the importance of being able to work out its kinks and identify its shortcomings before the games that count begin.

“Our weakness is putting together a consistent, 40-minute game,” junior forward Katie Rollins said. “With everyone as competitive as they are in the Ivies, if you let your guard down for one half, it can dictate your entire conference record. Every game is like a league championship game.”

Especially every Harvard-Dartmouth game. One of these teams has either shared or won the Ancient Eight crown outright in 12 of the last 14 seasons. And with the Big Green gaining some momentum after a rock-solid defensive performance in a 48-41 win over Delaware in its last outing, the latest installment of the league’s best rivalry is anyone’s game.

Meanwhile, the Crimson is coming off back-to-back losses in last weekend’s Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center Holiday Invitational, but is encouraged by its improved performance in the frontcourt. Rollins posted a combined 42 points and 12 rebounds in tournament play, which is welcome news as Dartmouth will bring a post presence of its own into Lavietes. Margaret and Brittney Smith, a pair of 6’1 sisters, are averaging over seven rebounds a game apiece for the Big Green, while senior Sydney Scott chips in 5.4 boards of her own.

“We cannot let them outrebound us,” Delaney-Smith said. “We’re taller in the frontcourt, but they are more athletic. Hopefully that’s one of the things we’ve taken away from the non-conference—we know how to play an athletic frontcourt.”

Dartmouth will need its athleticism, particularly on defense, to make up for an unusually low offensive output. The Big Green has scored the least points per game (44.7) of any Ivy team this season, but has also allowed the fewest (63.6).

“They always have a great defensive team,” Rollins said. “We’ve got to be ready for a lot of pressure.”

And if Harvard underestimates Dartmouth’s sharpshooters, it could be in for a long night. Junior Koren Schram recorded eight three-pointers in two games last weekend, and made five in a loss at Denver last month. Senior Kristen Craft is the high-scorer and assists leader for the Big Green, and either Craft or Schram has led Dartmouth in points in all but ones of its games this season. If it hopes to earn the victory it has won on paper, the Crimson will have to have a hand in the face of the Big Green shooters and rebound well to prevent second-chance opportunities.

A year ago, Harvard was the underestimated team looking to make a statement. In 2008, the Crimson will have to do what Dartmouth couldn’t: nip an upset bid in the bud, and halt a league rival before it picks up speed.

“Their conference record isn’t as good as they’d like it to be, but that was us last year,” Rollins said. “Harvard-Dartmouth is a natural rivalry. We should be expected to play our best game, because they’ll play theirs.”

—Staff writer Emily W. Cunningham can be reached at ecunning@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Basketball