AMOR PERFECT UNION: Giants Believe In Power of "Maybe"

By Loren Amor, Crimson Staff Writer

When we look at the upcoming match-up in Super Bowl XLII between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants, it is almost too easy to start making Star Wars comparisons.

Leading the sinister Galactic Empire, otherwise known as the 18-0 Patriots, is the Emperor Palpatine-Richard Nixon hybrid of Bill Belichick, sporting a hoodie that could easily pass as the robe of a Sith lord as he resorts to any means to fulfill his quest for domination. Carrying out Belichick’s cunning plans are his very own Darth Vader (Tom Brady) and Boba Fett (Randy Moss). Brady, too perfect and too efficient, is more robot than man. Moss is a hired gun brought in by the Empire to ruthlessly eliminate its enemies, leaving destruction in his wake in the form of broken touchdown records.

Coach Tom Coughlin leads the Rebellion, otherwise known as the upstart Giants. Coughlin plays the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi, a seemingly crazy old man who makes a sacrifice (Kenobi’s life, Coughlin’s archaic style of authoritarian coaching) for the good of his cause. Eli Manning stars as Luke Skywalker, the reluctant hero with a slow learning curve who realizes his true potential just in time to lead his team when it needs him the most. The part of Han Solo—the cocky and selfish talent who eventually sees the light and develops into an essential contributor to his team’s success—falls into the sure hands of wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

While it is often tempting to root for the Dark Side, most of us relate better to the redeeming qualities of the underdog who compensates for a lack of talent with a surplus of heart and determination. Most of us respect someone like Burress—the Giants’ best receiver all season despite his inability to practice because of a bum ankle—more than someone like the Patriots’ Rodney Harrison—a player whose desire to get an edge led him to use HGH and earn a reputation as a dirty player amongst his peers.

While some would dismiss this love of the gutsy underdog as false hope and wishful thinking when it is facing a merciless juggernaut like the Pats, there is no doubt in my mind that the Giants can pull out a victory on Sunday.

While it is difficult to point out a weakness in New England, it is apparent that this is not the same team that demolished opponents with ease in the first half of the season. The Patriots came within three points of losing to both the Philadelphia Eagles and the Baltimore Ravens—who each finished last in their respective divisions—in Weeks 12 and 13. Then, on Dec. 29, these very Giants famously held a 12-point lead over New England until late in the third quarter when the Patriot monster finally reared its ugly head and came back to take a 31-28 lead. Manning—who was otherwise spectacular throughout the entire game—threw a devastating interception in the fourth quarter, and the Giants would eventually lose the game 38-35.

New York was good, but not good enough that night. But just as New England has looked more vulnerable as of late, the Giants have changed dramatically since that last week of the regular season when they proved that they could hang with the class of the NFL.

These New York Giants are united and hungry, and they feed off of the lack of confidence that the rest of the nation feels towards them. They have already won three playoff games that they were not supposed to win, and they go into yet another one with a chip on their shoulder and nothing to lose.

It is true that, for the Giants to achieve the upset of all upsets, a lot of “maybes” have to swing in their direction.

Maybe the thunder and lightning running back combo of Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw will wear out the experienced but aging linebacker corps of the Patriots.

Maybe New York’s fearsome defensive front, led by sack machines Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, will penetrate New England’s imposing offensive line and make life difficult for Brady and the Patriot running attack.

Maybe the Giants’ shaky crop of cornerbacks will keep it together for one more game and find a way to stop Randy Moss and rest of the Patriots’ endless supply of receiving threats from getting away with murder.

Maybe Eli Manning—having already outclassed supposedly superior quarterbacks Tony Romo and living-legend Brett Favre in the playoffs—will go throw-for-throw one more time with the great Tom Brady, just like he did on Dec. 29 for three quarters, except this time maybe Eli will throw a touchdown instead of an interception on the biggest drive of the game.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I believe that something—whether it be Providence, karma or the Force—resides on the Giants’ side, and come Super Bowl Sunday, I like “Maybe’s” chances.

—Staff writer Loren Amor can be reached at lamor@fas.harvard.edu.

Football