Mix of Veterans, Fresh Faces Set To Lead Crimson

Deep and talented Harvard team has high hopes for new season.

Senior outside hitter Jordan Weitzen has established himself as a solid all-around player in his career with the Crimson. This season, he will look to help Harvard take a trip to the EIVA playoffs after the team went 11-6 last year but were unable to make
By Kate Leist, Crimson Staff Writer

The new semester always brings an onslaught of change, and for the Harvard men’s volleyball team, it marks the beginning of its 2008 campaign. With an experienced core of returning players, a group of talented newcomers, and a new head coach, the Crimson has every reason to be optimistic.

“We’re hoping for good things and expect great things,” senior Jordan Weitzen said.

Harvard is coming off a season in which it amassed an 11-6 overall record, but fell short in several conference matches to finish third in the Hay Division of the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (EIVA).

The disappointing divisional finish kept the team out of the EIVA playoffs.

However, there were plenty of bright spots during the season, including four and five-game winning streaks. The Crimson is also returning its best offensive player, junior captain Brady Weissbourd, and its best defensive player, senior Brian Rapp.

Weissbourd, a middle blocker, led the team last year in kills per game (3.23), hitting percentage (.429), and blocks per game (1.20). He also finished in the top 20 nationally in attack percentage.

Rapp led Harvard in digs last season, averaging 2.17 a game. A four-year veteran, he will once again step in as the team’s libero this season.

Weitzen, arguably the Crimson’s best all-around player, will be the starting outside hitter for the third consecutive year. Last season, Weitzen racked up 172 kills offensively while registering 77 digs on the defensive side.

While Weissbourd, Rapp, Weitzen and senior Jamie Crooks will provide the veteran leadership for Harvard this year, a trio of sophomores will have to step up and fill the holes left by three graduated seniors. Middle blocker Soren Rosier, outside hitter Erik Kuld, and setter Gil Weintraub are poised to have big seasons in 2008.

The Crimson also boasts a trio of freshmen who should contribute from the bench. Daniel Medina, Lubomir Malo, and Shaun Monsour, along with junior Jeff Nathan, add depth for Harvard.

Rapp has a great deal of confidence in his teammates’ talent.

“We have five guys coming back a year older, a year more mature, and three seniors who really know what it takes to win,” he said. “Our younger guys are some of the most talented guys we’ve seen. If we had our pick of who we’d want out of the entire league, our guys would be our top picks, no doubt.”

The Crimson isn’t relying solely on its talent, however. Under interim head coach Jose Barbosa, Harvard has upped its preseason preparation.

“We’ve had a great couple of weeks of preseason and practices, we’ve been working really hard, and we’re ready,” Weitzen said. “We’ve never been this prepared going into any one of our seasons, and we’re really looking forward to it.”

The Crimson displayed that talent and preparation in a season-opening win on Wednesday night. The team defeated non-league foe Rivier, 3-2, in Nashua, NH.

The win gives Harvard some momentum heading into conference play, something that was missing from the beginning of the 2007 campaign.

This weekend, the Crimson will turn its focus toward league foes Rutgers-Newark and Sacred Heart.

When Harvard welcomes the Scarlet Raiders to the Malkin Athletic Center tonight at 7 p.m., they will be christening their newly renovated courts. The Crimson was forced to play the second half of its 2007 season in Lavietes Pavilion due to construction in the MAC.

Harvard will then come back to face the Pioneers tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Rutgers-Newark finished in the basement of the EIVA’s Tait Division last season, posting a dismal 2-26 overall record and going 0-12 in division play. However, the Scarlet Raiders have already tied their win total from last season, coming out of the gate with a 2-4 start. They also gave last year’s Hay Division champion, NJIT, a run for their money in a 3-2 loss on Wednesday night.

“Rutgers has come away with a big win already,” Rapp said. “We have to show them that we’re definitely of a higher caliber than they are.”

Sacred Heart was swept in its opening two matches this year, but finished just behind the Crimson in the Hay Division standings last season. Harvard is not underestimating the importance of this weekend’s matches, as they could be essential to securing another playoff run.

“These first couple weeks are really the defining games of our season, starting EIVA and Hay Division play,” Weitzen said. “We really need to step up and win these games so we’re not playing from behind like the last couple of years.”

“If we come out of this weekend 3-0, we’re undoubtedly the team to be beaten,” Rapp said. “That’s the attitude we’ve all come in with.”

—Staff writer Kate Leist can be reached at kdleist@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball