B. a Good Drunken Snacker

Noch’s, Felipe’s, and the Kong, move aside—another Harvard food joint is trying to woo hungry late-night patrons. B. Good kicked
By Kevin Lin

Noch’s, Felipe’s, and the Kong, move aside—another Harvard food joint is trying to woo hungry late-night patrons. B. Good kicked off its 2 a.m.-weekends on Sept. 19, giving Harvard students another place to satisfy their post-partying munchies. Staying open later has been only one of a string of recent promotions for this Boston-based chain. Over the past month, B. Good has given away free shakes, free burgers, and hosted a “garlicky greens” spinach-eating contest.

So what’s behind this rise in B. Good goodness? Co-founder Jon Olinto says it’s all about getting out the B. Good name and encouraging real face-to-face interaction. “Our whole idea is real food,” Olinto says. “I’d rather spend 500 dollars giving away free mango shakes knowing my cashier Mike is handling each one, than getting a big billboard in Harvard Square.”

Despite being around for five years, B. Good hasn’t been very popular with the Harvard crowd. But Olinto isn’t worried: “It’s a slow evolution, and it takes time to convince people you’re worth their loyalty,” he says.

The work seems to be paying off. One only has to visit the colorful establishment on Dunster Street to witness its bustling business. “It’s cleaner, better quality—just so good!” says Brianna G. Gallagher, a late night customer. “Plus, you don’t feel guilty eating their burgers.”

Not surprisingly, Olinto has been working closely with Harvard student organizations to create these promotions. B. Good placed ads in the HSA’s Unofficial Guide, and teamed up with The Harvard Voice for a free shake giveaway. Even the late-night opening was in part the brainchild of Bobby Yu ’10 and Tony Wang ’10, both HSA managers and B. Good enthusiasts. “I see tons of Harvard people there all the time,” Wang says. “They’re very generous with their food.”

With Bartley’s out of commission, time will only tell if Harvard students will continue to return once their free-burger coupons run out.