SPORTS BRIEF: Crimson posts 3-1 win in exhibition game

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Though predicting the success of a season and a team’s newest players from one exhibition game is a risky exercise in extrapolation, the No. 20 Harvard men’s hockey team has plenty of reasons for optimism after its 3-1 win over Quebec Trois-Rivières in Friday night’s exhibition game at the Bright Hockey Center.

In a game that the Crimson hoped would help Harvard’s seven freshmen acclimate to college hockey, the Crimson freshmen were the ones who found the back of the net.

Freshman Alex Killhorn put Harvard on the board early at 05:23 during the team’s first power play when Killhorn was in the right place to bury a rebound following a shot from co-captain Jimmy Fraser. Rookie Ryan Grimshaw, skating on the right side in the offensive zone, let loose a shot just 72 seconds later to put the Crimson ahead permanently. Sophomore Joe Smith and freshman Eric Kroshus also assisted on the play.

The Harvard dominated at the start of the game, out-shooting Trois-Rivières 17-3 in a period when the Crimson enjoyed a man-advantage five times. Though the offensive barrage did cool down for the final two periods, Harvard still finished with 43 shots on net, more than double Quebec’s shot total of 21.

Following Trois-Rivières lone goal at 11:39 in the second period, freshman Rence Coassin put the game out of reach, with his first goal at the collegiate level coming at 16:53. Though the Crimson stayed in command of the game in the third period, the team’s power-play unit still was not able to capitalize on any of Quebec’s six penalties.

With just five days remaining before Harvard opens the regular season, this weekend’s game did not settle which of Harvard’s three possible goalies should win the starting job. Freshmen Matt Hoyle, sophomore Ryan Carroll, and junior John Riley all played one period each, with Hoyle getting the start and stopping three shots. Carroll registered nine saves and let up Quebec’s lone goal, while Riley made nine saves in the third.

As Harvard moves forward with a win and a clearer idea of its offensive potential, the goalie question may only be answered with more game time.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Ice Hockey