Crimson Extends Win Streak to Six Games

Harvard drubs Big Green for the second time in two weekends

Junior co-captain Kat Kocurek led Harvard with a 16-dig effort in the Crimson’s 3-0 win over the Big Green on Friday night. The win in the team’s home Ivy opener gave Harvard a six-game winning streak.
By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

There is no place like home.

In its Ivy home opener Friday night, the women’s volleyball team extended its winning streak to six games, defeating Dartmouth 3-0. Freshman Anne Carroll Ingersoll and senior Kathryn McKinley led Harvard (7-7, 2-0 Ivy) to its second victory over the Big Green (4-8, 0-2) in just a week, 25-15, 25-12, 25-21.

The road-weary Crimson welcomed the fan-filled, supportive home atmosphere.

“It was so fun to play for friends and family,” McKinley said. “And it makes it so much sweeter to win in your house.”

“Being at home was awesome, way better than being away,” Ingersoll said. “It’s good to have fans cheering instead of heckling.”

Ingersoll gave the crowd plenty to cheer about, notching 12 kills on her way to hitting .571—her sixth performance over .400 this season. McKinley matched with 12 kills of her own. Other standouts included the two junior co-captains, Kat Kocurek and Lily Durwood, who led the game with 16 digs and 36 assists, respectively.

In addition, Harvard coach Jennifer Weiss was particularly effusive about the class of 2012.

“The freshmen have fit right in.” Weiss said. “The whole class is great in terms of work ethic and competitive nature.”

Coming off of its five-game defeat of New Hampshire last Tuesday, Harvard eased its way into the match, going point for point with the Big Green up to 4-4. Moments later, an Ingersoll kill and a Wu ace put the Crimson ahead, creating a lead it would not relinquish. A mix of strong attacking and solid defense proved to be the right formula for Harvard, who made a 6-1 run to bring the score to 18-10.

Consecutive kills by McKinley and Fryhofer closed out the first game and boosted the Crimson’s attack percentage to .424.

The first game performance was an improvement over what was already a solid outing last Tuesday evening against UNH.

“[Tuesday’s game] was mentally and physically challenging.” Weiss said. “I think the way they practiced Wednesday and Thursday was great preparation for the Ivy League. We executed all the things we practiced.”

Jumping out to an 11-3 run to open the second frame, the Crimson continued the solid effort. Ingersoll and Durwood dominated the net, combining for four blocks and enabling Harvard to once again take an early and permanent lead.

“Volleyball’s very much a game of momentum,” Ingersoll said. “Whenever we lose the ball, it’s definitely our priority—do not let them get more than one, more than two points in a row.”

Fryhofer and junior Mikaelle Comrie paced the Crimson’s attack in the second frame, garnering five and four kills, respectively. Ingersoll nailed two more kills late in the set to end it in decisive fashion.

Things tightened up considerably in the third set. Early play featured back-and-forth action until a timely Ingersoll kill at 5-5 sparked a 3-0 run.

This time Harvard could not pull away. Three ensuing Crimson service errors took their toll, and until the final tally, Dartmouth never trailed by more than three points.

Carrying Harvard to the finish, McKinley came through with six kills and Ingersoll was close behind with five. One last service ace by Durwood topped off the Crimson’s 3-0 shutout of the Big Green.

Attributing the drop-off in the third to a more relaxed attitude, the women’s team was not fazed by the tighter score.

“I think it was mostly that we were comfortable,” Ingersoll said. “Even though it was closer, we still had that control of the match.”

Friday’s victory was the first time this season that Harvard did not allow an opposing ace. The Crimson also established a six game winning streak—the team’s longest since the 2006-’07 season.

Harvard continues Ivy League play next weekend, traveling to Brown on Friday and Yale the following day.

“I think we’re in a good place,” Weiss said. “When we get to next week, it’s all Ivies from here on out. I know there’s room for improvement out there.”

Women's Volleyball