Lightning Does Not Strike Twice for Crimson

Harvard women's soccer falls to Northeastern, 3-2, in penalty kick thriller.

By Walter E. Howell, Crimson Staff Writer

The Crimson season skidded to a halt on Friday night, as the women's soccer team lost a heart breaker, 3-2 after penalty kicks, to Boston rival Northeastern in the first round of the NCAA Regionals.

Lightning could not strike twice for Harvard on the night. After miraculously defeating Columbia 2-1 with nine seconds remaining in the second overtime last Saturday to win the Ivy title, the Crimson could not repeat its dramatic success.

Harvard lost 4-2 in penalty kicks against the Huskies. But it looked like junior keeper Lauren Mann had put the Crimson ahead earlier. Tied at 1-1 in penalty kicks, Mann looked to block the Huskies third kick. However, the referee called the junior goalie for a penalty, saying that she moved forward before the ball was kicked.

It is a call that has rarely been made in the collegiate, or professional game.

The resulting kick went in the net off the hands of a diving Mann, giving Northeastern a lead it would never relinquish.

Harvard could not respond, and the Crimson fell soon after, ending its stellar season in bitter fashion.

Women's Soccer