Bassett Bolsters Crimson Defensive Effort

Junior defenseman Cori Bassett has stepped up for the Harvard defense this season, filling the skates of departed star Caitlin Cahow ‘07-’08. Bassett has eight points through the season’s first 11 games, good for fourth on the team, and her acheivements h
By Thomas D. Hutchison, Contributing Writer

While the Harvard women’s ice hockey team may be experiencing some unexpected struggles out of the gates, with a 4-4-3 record to start this season, a star and team leader has quietly emerged in junior defenseman Cori Bassett. The Anchorage, Alaska native ranks fourth for the Crimson with eight points so far this season (three goals, five assists) in 11 games played, already surpassing her six-point output (three goals, three assists) in 34 games played all of last year.

“Bassett has been looked upon to step up offensively this year,” said Harvard tri-captain Jenny Brine, “and this has made her an even more exciting player to watch.”

Head coach Katey Stone has noticed Bassett’s improved play as well, and she attributes the defenseman’s efforts to the increased “confidence and aggressiveness” Bassett has displayed on the ice so far this year.

“Cori continues to be a strong presence on the blue line,” Stone said. “She is excellent in transition and our best shot blocker.”

Bassett’s strong play this year was displayed at its finest in a Nov. 1 match-up against Princeton. She recorded a career-high four points, including two goals and two assists, in the Crimson’s 6-4 victory over the Tigers.

More importantly, the left-handed psychology concentrator has been able to fill the role of departed senior and Olympian, Caitlin Cahow ’07-’08, exceedingly well this season, becoming the leader of Harvard’s strong defensive unit.

“I think with the graduation of Cahow last year, our defense has had to step up big time for us this year,” Brine said. “Bassett, along with the other upperclassmen defensemen, have been looked upon to help continue the hard-working, smart, defensive reputation that Harvard hockey has come to be known for.”

Cahow herself immediately noticed Bassett’s abilities when the Eliot House resident came to Cambridge at the start of her freshman campaign.

“Cori has been an integral part of the Crimson’s defensive unit since she stepped in as a freshman,” Cahow said. “She has always possessed a keen knowledge of the game and an ability to read and react to each situation.”

Bassett was recently rewarded for her strong play this season with an invitation to the USA Hockey Women’s Holiday Camp from Dec. 26-31 in Blaine, Minn. She will be joined by 58 of the nation’s top women’s ice hockey players, including fellow Harvard alumnae Julie Chu ’06-’07 and Angela Ruggiero ’02-’04. The training camp will serve as a tryout and training session for the U.S. Women’s National Team and U.S. Women’s National Under-18 Team, both of which participate in world championships in the early part of 2009.

Coach Stone will also spend time over winter break in Minnesota, as she will serve as one of three head coaches at the Holiday Camp.

“It is always a plus to have the opportunity to play up a level,” Stone said. “This will be the case at the Holiday Camp [for Bassett]. That environment definitely helps accelerate one’s development.”

Cahow, being a three-year member of the U.S. National Team, echoed Coach Stone’s words on how Bassett will benefit from the increased level of play over the break at the Holiday Camp.

“Certainly the Holiday Camp is going to push her in the best possible way,” Cahow said. “There are no shifts off at National Camp. Every player is skilled, as well as fast and experienced. Personally, I think it is the greatest of tests for a defenseman. I know Cori will rise to the challenge and do a great honor to herself as well as Harvard hockey.”

While Bassett’s offensive output and defensive presence have garnered some attention so far this year, and deservedly so, her ability to lead the defense may be her biggest contribution to the women’s ice hockey team and its chances of returning to the Frozen Four.

“Cori is a soft-spoken quiet leader, who is dominant on the ice and graciously understated off of it,” Cahow said. “She cares deeply for all of her teammates and has the spark to push herself to improve at every opportunity, more often than not, when no one else is watching.”

Women's Ice Hockey