Byzantine Professor Dies of Cancer at 67

By Esther I. Yi, Crimson Staff Writer

Only eight days before she passed away, history professor Angeliki E. Laiou was still writing letters of recommendation for her students.

Known for her witty conversation and sharp analytic mind, the acclaimed historian of the Byzantine empire developed a public persona larger than life—perhaps overshadowing a compassion that translated into dedication to her students and their research.

“She would never approve of anything that was not of the highest quality,” said former advisee Alexander M. More, a graduate student in history. “She had a commanding professional presence that was only matched by the kindness and generosity she displayed to her students.”

Laiou died of thyroid cancer at Mass. General Hospital on Thursday afternoon. She was 67.

“She was a very strong woman, a great fighter,” said History of Art and Architecture Professor Ioli Kalavrezou. “It was a shock to all of us...although we knew she was sick, nobody believed that Angeliki would die.”

The scholar of Byzantine studies spearheaded research in Mediterranean economic history and women’s history, and her 1985 appointment to lead the History department made her the first female chair of a department at Harvard—but Laiou put little import on her defiance of the norms.

“This is never something that she presented as an achievement or as an issue...It was remarkable that she could blaze so many trails without ever posturing as a pioneer,” said classics professor Jan M. Ziolkowski, director of Harvard’s research center Dumbarton Oaks, which Laiou led for nine years. “She just bolted forward on the basis of her knowledge, intelligence, views, and talents.”

Graduate student in history Rowan W. Dorin ’07 remembered Laiou as an undergraduate advisor who demanded more than he ever thought he could give.

“She had very little time for obfuscation or fuzzy arguments,” Dorin said. “She demanded excellence of everyone.”

Born in Athens, Laiou served as deputy secretary of foreign affairs of Greece in 2000 and member of the Parliament there.

But for all her academic seriousness, Laiou displayed urbane sensibilities and unmatched elegance. Dorin said she could just as easily dine on oysters in Paris as cheer on the Georgetown Hoyas.

After attending the University of Athens, she continued her education in the United States at Brandeis University and at Harvard, where she received a Ph.D. in 1967.

Fourteen years later, Laiou was tenured at Harvard to teach Byzantine history.

For what has been called the crowning achievement of her scholarly career, Laiou edited and wrote eight of the chapters of a three-volume collection on the economic history of Byzantium.

“Nothing can do justice to that woman. She was in a class of her own,” said medieval history professor Michael McCormick. “We are all infinitely poorer for her departure.”

Laiou is survived by her son, Vassili N. Thomadakis ’96.

—Staff Writer Esther I. Yi can be reached at estheryi@fas.harvard.edu.