Merck, Prof Combat Osteoporosis

Company will fund laboratory research for next three years

By Nathan C. Strauss and Kevin Zhou, Crimson Staff Writerss

A Harvard immunologist’s research focused on developing new therapies for the treatment of osteoporosis has resulted in a lucrative deal with Merck & Co..

One of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States, Merck will provide “significant” funding over three years, with the possibility of an extension at the end, for research in the laboratory of Harvard School of Public Health Professor Laurie H. Glimcher ’72.

Glimcher’s groundbreaking research revealed a new pathway that regulates the cells that build bones, and indicated that a particular disruption in this pathway in mice resulted in the acceleration of bone formation.

Her research could open new avenues to treat or prevent osteoporosis, a disease that affects approximately 75 million people worldwide according to a statement issued by the School of Public Health.

“We are basically teaming up with Merck to identify new targets in the osteoblasts that control bone formation respectively,” Glimcher said.

The sole treatment currently approved that rebuilds bone is used only for severe cases and for up to 18 months of treatment, according to Alan B. Ezekowitz, a senior vice president at Merck.

“What’s a little different about this is that we are using the skill sets she has juxtaposed with prioritized access to capabilities that Merck has,” Ezekowitz, who was a professor at the Medical School for 22 years, said.

The deal with Merck, which is one of many between Harvard researchers and the pharmaceutical company, will play an important role in helping the University fulfill its public obligations, said Senior Associate Provost Isaac T. Kohlberg, who heads Harvard’s Office of Technology and Development.

“Through this relationship, the public and the patients will benefit because it is only through this relationship that drugs are being developed,” he said. “It’s only through this collaboration that universities fulfill their role to society.”

The Office of Technology and Development (OTD)—the University’s arm responsible for dealing with industry-sponsored research agreements—collaborated with Glimcher to secure the pharmaceutical giant’s funding.

“We worked with her to get this funding,” Kohlberg said. “The agreement with Merck is an agreement between the University, and OTD represents the University.”

If the research eventually produces royalties, the profits will be handled under the University’s intellectual property agreement, which gives a portion to the inventor.

Ezekowitz emphasized that there will be no restrictions on the publications of the lab’s work. But he added that Merck needed to “protect the proprietary structure of the compound” that the lab might generate.

—Staff writer Nathan C. Strauss can be reached at strauss@fas.harvard.edu. —Staff writer Kevin Zhou can be reached at kzhou@fas.harvard.edu.