The correlation between "party tonight" and "hangover"...not that Harvard students can relate.

Yet Another Facebook Feature

Even with all the lectures spent facebooking and hours of Web stalking, it’s hard to know for sure exactly what’s
By Michael J Ding

Even with all the lectures spent facebooking and hours of Web stalking, it’s hard to know for sure exactly what’s being written on the walls of your friends. In their ongoing effort to make procrastination easier, Facebook.com created Facebook Lexicon, a feature that tracks when and how often any given word appears on a wall or event page. So, in our ongoing effort to make procrastination even easier, FM decided to do the work for you (you’re welcome!), and hunt down all the buzz words to help you see what you’re missing.

“Party tonight” and “hangover” have a nearly perfect correlation. Both words peak every weekend, with the “hangover” peaks always coming one day after the “party.”

During admissions season, Facebook answered the ultimate question: Harvard, Yale, or Princeton? With its early admission policy still in place, “Yale” spiked in wall posts on Dec. 15—its notification day. However, “Harvard” trumped both “Princeton” and “Yale” on March 31, the day all Ivy League schools released regular admissions decisions.

It seems that “I” is the most often used word, beating out “the” and “a.”

“The Super Bowl” was by far the most talked about sporting event, beating out the “World Series” and the “NBA Finals” by a large margin.

“Love” has two noticeable peaks on Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Exactly one month after Valentine’s Day, “steak” and “blowjob” see a spike in usage, stemming from the fabled March 14 holiday, “Steak and Blowjob Day.”