Palin Pick Warms Up Alaska

Harvard Alaska Klub declares 2008-2009 the ‘Year of Alaska’

By Matthew R. Cohen, Contributing Writer

After capturing the attention of USWeekly magazine and Saturday Night Live, vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin is now the focal point of Harvard’s own Alaska Klub, which has declared the 2008-2009 school year “The Year of Alaska” in her honor.

The Alaska Klub, according to its statement of purpose, is “a forum for Alaskans to gather and discuss items of cultural, societal and political interest pertaining to Alaska and it’s [sic] world dominance.”

Timothy L.H. Treuer ’10, an Anchorage native and co-president of the Alaska Klub, said he is excited about Sarah Palin’s ability to bring Alaska into the campus spotlight. “Without making a political statement, I think the Palin pick was an exciting choice in that it will help our club raise Alaska’s profile and try to combat common misperceptions about the state,” Treuer said.

Elaborating on some of these misconceptions, Treuer added, “I’ve been asked if I live in an igloo, if it’s dark all the time, and even whether I have a pet polar bear.”

Caroline L. Kutler ’11 also said she is excited about the pick, though for different reasons. “I think it’s great that a woman has been chosen as a vice-presidential candidate,” she said. “At the end of the day, though, I think it’s her political views that are going to influence my vote.”

It is those same political views that have some on Harvard’s campus cringing. “Palin has lied about not supporting the Bridge to Nowhere,” said Jarret A. Zafran ’09, president of the Harvard College Democrats. “We also know that she tried to fire an innocent librarian that denounced her.”

But with both Barack Obama and John McCain talking about change in this election, some campus Republicans said McCain’s choice of Palin bolsters what they see as his maverick image. “Sarah Palin is in line with John McCain’s vision of reforming the culture in Washington,” said Colin J. Motley ’10, president of the Harvard College Republicans. “Sarah Palin has a history of fighting corruption, and she appeals to conservatives and independents alike.”

Regardless of political affiliation and partisan politics, Alaska Klub members said they believe the Palin pick will be good for Alaska. “I generally want to bring the spirit of Alaska to Cambridge, and I think this will help,” Treuer said.

The Alaska Klub’s upcoming events include “Wasilla Drinks,” when the club will watch the vice-presidential debate between “our beloved Gov. Sarah Palin and that dirty Washington Insider Joe Biden,” as advertised on the club’s Facebook group page.