Crimson Sweeps Conference Foes

Tri-captain Sarah Vallaincourt, shown here in earlier action, scored three goals against Brown on Friday to lift her total to nine on the season. It was the first hat trick of the season for last year’s Patty Kazmaier Award winner, who paced the Crimson o
By Loren Amor, Crimson Staff Writer

While a complete team effort was the recipe for success for the Harvard women’s hockey team last season, the Crimson did have its stars, and perhaps none shined brighter than then-junior Sarah Vaillancourt and then-sophomore goaltender Christina Kessler.

Vaillancourt was honored as the best player in the nation with the Patty Kazmaier Award, while Kessler set school records with a 1.06 goals against average and a .952 save percentage.

Both players have remained solid this season, but the dominant performances that seemed to be the norm for the pair a year ago have appeared less frequently.

That is, until this weekend.

A Vaillancourt hat trick led Harvard (8-7-3, 8-4-2 ECAC) to a 5-3 victory over Brown (3-12-1, 2-7-0) in Providence on Friday while Kessler was rock solid between the posts in New Haven under heavy fire from a relentless Yale offense, consistently denying the Bulldogs (7-9-0, 3-6-0) en route to a 1-0 shutout.

The sweep gives the Crimson positive momentum heading into exam period, which will keep Harvard out of action for nearly three weeks.

“It’s a great feeling for us,” Kessler said. “It was a good way to end our play.”

HARVARD 1, YALE 0

Tough, physical play and a steady barrage of shots on both sides of the ice characterized the Crimson’s 1-0 win over the Bulldogs.

Harvard and Yale combined for 14 penalties, ensuring a busy day in the net for both goalies and no shortage of power-play opportunities for either team. But strong play from the Crimson and Bulldog penalty kill units and stellar showings from Kessler and Yale netminder Jackie Snikeris rendered both teams’ efforts with the man advantage fruitless—Harvard was 0-for-5 on the power play while the Bulldogs went 0-for-7.

Snikeris frustrated the Crimson all afternoon, stopping 24 Harvard shots.

But Harvard finally broke through 11:38 into the second period, despite being shorthanded.

Junior defenseman Kathryn Farni broke up a Bulldogs power-play effort, stealing the puck and charging into the Yale zone. Farni made the most of her breakaway opportunity, threading a shot under Snikeris’ glove. The puck bounced off the post and into the back of the net.

“It was a perfect shot,” Kessler said. “The goalie didn’t give up much room.”

While Snikeris was good, Kessler was perfect.

The junior notched a season-high 32 saves, withstanding a fierce Bulldogs offensive attack to complete the shutout.

“Chrisitna Kessler had one of her best games of the season today,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “We needed her to.”

HARVARD 5, BROWN 3

The Crimson jumped out to a quick 3-1 lead on Friday, but the Bears came charging back in the first half of the third period to tie the game.

“It shouldn’t have been as close as it was,” Stone said. “We let them back in.”

With its lead gone and the momentum slipping out of its favor, Harvard needed a boost.

Enter Vaillancourt.

The tri-captain responded with a pair of power-play goals, giving her a hat trick and Harvard a 5-3 lead that would prove insurmountable.

A minute after Brown forced the tie, Vaillancourt received the puck from tri-captain Jenny Brine and flicked it past Bears goalie Nicole Stock to give the Crimson a 5-4 lead.

Brown kept the game close, keeping its hopes alive until the final minute, when Vaillancourt struck again, wristing a goal from the left side of the net with under 30 seconds left in the third frame.

“She’s been a great player for us throughout the whole season and been a great leader,” Kessler said. “Yesterday was proof of her talent.”

While Vaillancourt led the Harvard attack, her linemates joined her in the scoring binge as well.

Brine and senior Sarah Wilson scored the Crimson’s first two goals, giving Harvard an early advantage.

“We kept it simple,” Stone said. “We let the puck do the work. ”

—Staff writer Loren Amor can be reached at lamor@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Ice Hockey