Eve 6, Sarah Bareilles rumored choice for Yardfest

By Edward-michael Dussom, Crimson Staff Writer

The rumor that alt-rock outfit Eve 6—known for singles “Inside Out” and “Here’s to the Night”—would be headlining at this year’s Yardfest sparked the ire of students as it circulated through House lists yesterday.

The band’s MySpace page listed that they had a performance at Harvard University on April 19th, 4 p.m. with Sarah Bareilles, whose hits include “Love Song.”

In years past, Yardfest has been held on either the third or fourth weekend of April.

But according to members of the College Events Board—the student committee charged with planning the annual event—no definitive booking has been made, and no contract was ever signed.

“We did make some sort of contact with the band to see when they are available,” said Kevin M. Mee ’10, the CEB’s newly elected chairman.

Mee added, however, that the CEB was not yet engaged “in any negotiations.”

“We definitely have not entered any contract agreements,” Mee said. “We’ll shoot to make final decision in the next month or so. We’re still considering lots of other options.”

Asked about the posting of Eve 6’s intended performance, Mee said, “I don’t know why that’s up there...that’s definitely inaccurate.”

Despite denials by CEB representatives over House lists, the outcry concerning Eve 6’s possible performance was not stifled. The protest was accompanied by criticism of the choices of past Yardfest artists Gavin DeGraw and Third Eye Blind, who students said were outdated.

Formed by Max Collins, Jon Siebels, and Tony Fagenson in 1995, Eve 6 disbanded in 2004 after being dropped by their record label, RCA Corporation. The band’s latest tour, launched two years since their 2007 reunion, is scheduled to stop at several other schools in the region, including SUNY Binghamton and the University of Connecticut.

The band’s representatives could not be reached for comment last night.

—Staff writer Edward-Michael Dussom can be reached at emdussom@fas.harvard.edu