Petraeus Honors Young Veterans

1Uncaptioned photo
1Uncaptioned photo
By Evan T.R. Rosenman, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Commanding General of the Iraq Multi-National Force David H. Petraeus spoke before a packed audience at the Harvard Institute of Politics last night, before heading to the Charles Hotel to honor student veterans at a lavish dinner celebration.

Petraeus took the stage at the IOP following a lengthy introduction, which included a presentation of flags by the Harvard ROTC Color Guard as well as speeches from Harvard Center for Public Leadership Director David R. Gergen, Harvard Kennedy School Dean David T. Ellwood, and student veterans Maura C. Sullivan and Seth W. Moulton.

When Petraeus took the stage, he responded to questions from Gergen and used Powerpoint slides to demonstrate various trends in the war effort.

In his speech, the general emphasized the importance of reevaluating strategy and communicating these new goals to leaders. He said that before the successful 2007 troop surge in Iraq, he and his advisors “sat down and tried to get the big ideas right.”

Petraeus also noted the importance of reaching out to the enemy in order to help ensure peace.

“You can’t kill or capture your way out of an industrial strength insurgency,” he said. “You have to promote reconciliation.”

When the floor was opened for questions, many audience members asked Petraeus about the possibility of a troop surge in Afghanistan. The general said that while he believed that progress could be achieved, he knew that the conflict would certainly escalate with a troop increase.

“It will be very difficult and you won’t see the dramatic downturn that we have seen in Iraq,” he said.

After the forum concluded with a standing ovation for student veterans, audience members were met by a small group of protestors outside the IOP, who held up signs with slogans such as “Petraeus is a murderer.” One demonstrator, who preferred to be known only as Terrance, said he was protesting because he wanted to support peace and free thought.

“I came today because I don’t believe in war,” he said. “I came today because I believe there’s a better way to figure things out.”

Petraeus, meanwhile, joined many of the forum attendees for a dinner at the Charles Hotel Ballroom to honor veterans from the Harvard Kennedy, Business, and Law Schools. The event—held for the third consecutive year—was attended by several hundred students and faculty, and included a steak dinner and a prayer from Reverend Peter J. Gomes.

Taking the podium again for his keynote speech, Petraeus cracked jokes about Princeton and Yale before honoring the former servicemen in attendance.

Calling these young veterans the “new greatest generation,” Petraeus said, “I am simply here to say to each of you: thank you.”

The event then concluded with a round of toasts to the many divisions of the United States military, as well as to those who died in battle.

Harvard Business School student Leo V. Buehler, who served three tours in Iraq, said he was humbled and impressed by the event.

“I think this event has shown that the community here is very supportive of the men and women who serve,” he said.

—Staff writer Evan T. R. Rosenman can be reached at erosenm@fas.harvard.edu.