Harvard Braces for Swine Flu Epidemic

By Spencer H. Hardwick, Crimson Staff Writer

A spreading epidemic of swine flu continues to shake up the public health landscape as the number of cases in the United States ballooned to 69 yesterday. The outbreak has already infected 1,600 citizens and claimed 150 lives in Mexico, the country where it originated.

Effects of the potential pandemic could be felt across the U.S. as President Obama requested $1.5 billion from Congress to combat the virus, and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency after the virus infected more than 10 Californians and is currently being investigated for any role in the deaths of two others.

As the death toll continues to rise, public health officials are not optimistic about the illness’s decline anytime soon.

“It’s likely that we’re just seeing the beginning of an epidemic. Right now it’s hard to say how extensive it’s going to be,” said George R. Seage, associate professor of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.

The flu has already been detected in Kansas, Texas, California and New York. And Massachusetts is on high alert while two children in Lowell, Mass., await test results for the illness after returning from a trip to Mexico.

The virus may not have infected Boston yet, but Harvard students are already feeling its effects.

For Francisco J. Marmolejo ’12, a sustained outbreak could mean not returning to his hometown of San Luis Potosí in Mexico for the summer.

“There is a sort of fear [in San Luis]. People are afraid to go out. Everyone wears face masks,” said Marmolejo, describing phone calls from friends and family back home. “I was thinking about going back, but now I’m just going to see how it evolves from here.”

According to the World Health Organization, swine flu is a strain of the influenza virus found in pigs that is rarely transferable to humans. But the recent outbreak is believed to be a mutated form of the strain which has contributed to its high degree of contagiousness among humans. The flu’s symptoms are similar to the standard influenza virus—including sore throat, fever, coughing, body aches, and chills.

While Harvard students may not be wearing face masks—a common practice in several international cities—school health officials are clear about how to prevent an outbreak on campus.

“I think the idea here is to be vigilant. The most important thing is to practice good hygiene” said David S. Rosenthal ’59, director of Harvard University Health Services (UHS). “I would recommend that students wash their hands, use your Purell dispensers, etc. It’s basically a huge hygiene message.”

A vigorous hand washing campaign isn’t the only tactic Harvard is using for its students to combat the epidemic. UHS issued a written announcement on its Web site yesterday that provided helpful hints for students to stay healthy.

The bulletin also included information to dispel false rumors regarding swine flu, such as the notion that eating pork products could lead to an infection.

In the event that a case of the virus does arise on campus, Rosenthal said he is confident in UHS preparations.

“The University had been working on an emergency plan for some time. We have a pandemic flu plan, a crisis team is in place, and local emergency authorities standing by,” he said. “We’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out.”