Brown Consistent as Harvard Splits Weekend

Rachel Brown, shown here in earlier action, has been a consistent presence on the mound for the Harvard softball team thus far.
By Kate Leist, Crimson Staff Writer

If there’s one thing that has become apparent this season, it’s that for Rachel Brown, there will be no sophomore slump.

The pitcher led the Harvard softball team to a split at this weekend’s Amy S. Harrison Classic in Riverside, Calif. The Crimson is now 4-5 on the season, with all of its wins credited to Brown.

But the sophomore got some help from her offense this weekend, as Harvard won a pair of close games against Northern Illinois by coming from behind—including an extra-inning victory on Saturday.

“I think our team shows a lot of heart when it’s down to the wire,” Brown said. “I certainly did not have any doubt that we were going to win that game in extra innings. And I think especially in really close situations, our team has a sense of urgency, and we really thrive in that environment.”

The Crimson paired its two wins with two lopsided losses, falling to Idaho State Saturday before being blown out by UC Riverside yesterday.

UC RIVERSIDE 11, HARVARD 1

The host Highlanders (10-14) beat up on Harvard in yesterday’s tournament finale, taking an 11-1 win in a run-rule-shortened contest.

Junior Ellen Macadam continued her recent tear at the plate, leading the game off with a homer down the left-field line. Macadam was 4-for-12 for the tournament.

“She made some great adjustments this weekend, and she is definitely starting to hit her stride,” Crimson coach Jenny Allard said.

But UC Riverside dominated from there, torching freshman Jessica Ferri for eight runs in three innings—though only three of those runs were earned. Sophomore Julia Moore allowed three unearned runs in an inning of relief before the game was called.

“[Ferri]’s definitely her [own] toughest critic, and we all have complete 100% confidence in her,” Brown said. “She might be disappointed in her performance right now, but we all see so much potential in her.”

Alexis Villamor led the Highlanders with four RBI.

HARVARD 5, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 4

Brown pitched four innings of perfect relief to earn her fourth win of the season as Harvard plated a run in the bottom of the eighth for a narrow 5-4 win in Saturday’s nightcap.

Freshman Kassy Shiotani, who was placed on second to start the eighth, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt from sophomore Jane Alexander and was brought around by senior Stephanie Krysiak’s fielder’s choice.

Though the Huskies (4-12) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead against Ferri, the Crimson got two back in the bottom of the first. Senior Jessica Pledger drew a bases-loaded walk to plate the first run, and Ferri followed with an infield RBI single.

“It was good to see [Ferri] break out offensively,” Allard said. “On the mound in Saturday’s game, she struggled. The ump had a pretty tight zone, and she struggled to hit her spots.”

Northern Illinois took a 4-2 lead with a pair of tallies in the third and an unearned run in the fourth, setting the stage for a Harvard comeback in the bottom of the inning.

Macadam got things started with a double to left and was brought around on an RBI groundout from co-captain Melissa Schellberg, who is also a Crimson sports editor.

Sophomore Whitney Shaw followed with an RBI single to right-center field that plated junior Emily Henderson, who had reached on an error.

IDAHO STATE 9, HARVARD 4

The Crimson came out swinging in Saturday’s first game, plating four runs in the first inning. But from there, the game was all about the Bengals (3-13), who came away with a 9-4 victory.

Harvard got just one hit in the first inning, but it was a big one. After Idaho State hurler Nora Maschue walked the bases loaded, Macadam made her pay with a two-run single to left center.

Maschue then walked Alexander and plunked freshman Olivia Piccione to plate another run. A free pass to Krysiak scored the fourth run of the inning before Henderson struck out to close the frame.

Co-captain Margaux Black struggled to her first loss of the season, giving up two runs in the first before being chased with nobody out in the second.

Moore came on with runners on the corners and issued a pair of walks and a single before recording an out. The Bengals scored four in the second and added an insurance run in each of the next three frames.

Brown relieved Moore with a runner aboard in the fourth and got each of her nine outs by strikeout.

HARVARD 2, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 1

Brown started her busy weekend with a win, going the distance as the Crimson rallied for a 2-1 win over the Huskies.

Northern Illinois took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, as Jennifer Barnett singled home Dani Parrish, who had reached on a fielder’s choice.

But after the early hiccup, Brown cruised, allowing just seven hits in the game while ringing up seven.

“I felt a little shaky on the first day, but a big part of pitching is when you don’t have your best stuff, trying to be effective,” Brown said. “My defense really helped me out, and we scored runs where we needed to, which was huge.”

Harvard tied the game in the top of the fourth, as Shaw got things started with a one-out walk. The first baseman then stole second and was brought around on an RBI single from senior Jen Francis.

Shaw knocked in the game-winner in the sixth, stroking a double to center to score rookie pinch runner Ashley Heritage.

—Staff writer Kate Leist can be reached at kleist@fas.harvard.edu.

Softball