Author Encourages Childhood Whims

By Zoe A. Y. Weinberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Eric Carle, the author of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” encouraged a packed audience to pursue their creative ambitions—even if it means holding onto childhood whims.

“I like to work with colors like I did in kindergarten,” Carle said at the Graduate School of Education last night.

Though Carle abandoned formal education at the age of 16, his “education as a good picture writer” was shaped by mentors who fostered his love of nature, art, and visual creativity.

Though Carle’s father—who joined the German army when Carle was 10-year-old—was absent for much of his son’s formative years, he sparked Carle’s love of nature and gave him some of his fondest childhood memories of Sunday morning walks.

“My father taught me how to catch a lizard in the morning when it’s still cold,” Carle said.

But dismayed by his son’s lack of interest in becoming a doctor, Carle’s father told him, “Eric, you will amount to nothing.”

Carle said he was furious and locked himself in his father’s room to tear down the wallpaper: “My father never bothered me about it again,” he said.

Carle said he remembers an art teacher who secretly showed him non-traditional art when it was forbidden in Germany during World War II.

“My teacher told me, ‘I like the looseness of your style, and I want you to see this,’” recalled Carle, who was especially inspired by Picasso and Matisse.

Years later, writer Bill Martin Jr. sparked Carle’s interest in children’s books when he asked Carle to illustrate his work “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?”

Carle has written 70 children’s books since then, but said he does not plan to write any more.

Dean of the Graduate School of Education Kathleen McCartney said that she invited Carle to speak partly because of his popular appeal. His work also carries personal significance, she said.

“The books were beloved,” McCartney said. “They were very special to my daughters.”

Yesterday’s event marks the first time that Carle has spoken at any school of education, according to McCartney.

“We were so honored that he would come and talk to us,” McCartney said.

Six-year-old Ashleigh, who wore a t-shirt that read “I am a very hungry caterpillar,” said she once dressed up as Eric Carle for an educational fair at her school. When she approached him to get her book signed after the talk, she presented Carle with a photograph of herself in costume.

Five-year-old Eliza Weinberger—whose favorite book is “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” which was published in 1969—said that she enjoyed hearing Carle speak at the event.

Eliza’s mother, Joanne, said she believes that they have read almost all of Carle’s books and have loved every one.

-Staff Writer Zoe A. Y. Weinberg can be reached at zoe.weinberg@college.

Ed School