Crimson Splits With Princeton in Opener

Richard F. Taylor

(CORRECTION: An earlier caption for this photograph incorrectly stated that the individual depicted was Sean O'Hara. In fact, the individual was Jon Roberts '09.)

Harvard earned a narrow split during its first day of Ivy League play at Princeton on Saturday, losing a heartbreaker in extra innings in the first game of the doubleheader before bouncing back to take the nightcap. The Crimson benefited from solid pitching performances in both games, and could easily have emerged with two victories, but the Tigers (6-14, 1-1 Ivy) managed to squeak out a win on a walk-off single in the 12th.

“I was real happy with the pitching overall,” Harvard coach Joe Walsh said. “I thought everyone came in and did a nice job.”

The split to open Ivy League play was a clear improvement over last year’s opening weekend, when the Crimson was swept by Columbia.

“We did a great job coming out with intensity, coming out with the mindset that we were going to win games,” said sophomore pitcher and outfielder Brent Suter.

“We could have easily won both games, we could have easily dropped both games—it’s just how baseball is,” Walsh added.



Only an hour removed from its extra-inning loss, the Crimson stepped back onto the field for the second game of the day.

“I was proud of the way the guys bounced back after losing a tough game,” Walsh said. “It was an emotional game.”

“We really let that one go and came out with a good mindset the next game,” Suter said. “We came out and just responded.”

Junior Eric Eadington pitched a gem, giving up two runs and striking out five in eight innings to earn his second win of the season.

“Eric did a great job today. He didn’t make too many bad pitches,” Walsh said. “He did a nice job of holding runners—not that there were too many runners.”

Junior Sean O’Hara hit a two-run home run in the 4th inning to give Harvard a lead it would never surrender.

After Princeton narrowed the gap with a run in the bottom of the 4th, freshman Kyle Larrow’s RBI double in the 6th extended the lead to 3-1.

Tigers senior Jon Broscious hit one off of Eadington into the bleachers in left field in the home half of the sixth, but the Crimson responded with another run on Larrow’s suicide squeeze for his second RBI of the contest.

“We squared a lot of balls up today,” Walsh said. “Even though we scored four runs, I was real happy with our at-bats.”