Professors Reconsider Applied Math 50

By Radhika Jain, Crimson Staff Writer

Applied Mathematics 50, a survey course with more than 100 students, may undergo restructuring next fall as faculty members reconsider its future within the concentration curriculum.

Professors said that course size may be limited to 40 to restore the faculty-student engagement initially incorporated into the course design.

The course was conceived five years ago as a discussion-based class with 20 to 30 students. Created by applied mathematics professor Michael P. Brenner, it sought to introduce potential applied math concentrators and enthusiasts to the many diverse applications of mathematical modeling.

Enrollment has since exploded. According to Margo S. Levine, assistant director for undergraduate studies in Applied Mathematics and a co-teacher of the course, there are just over 100 students currently enrolled—20 more than were expected from pre-enrollment figures.

The course’s initial small size allowed faculty to evaluate students without assigning homework or administering exams, said Levine—a model that is no longer plausible with so many students.

“We’re thrilled that it’s so large; obviously it’s serving a need,” said Marie Dahleh, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences assistant dean for academic programs.

“We really just want to make sure that people are in there for the right reasons,” she said.

In addition to possible size limits, the department is considering restricting the course to primarily freshmen and sophomores, with a few spots available to upperclassmen by application.

Levine said she thinks the jump in numbers could be attributed to the popularity of both Dahleh and Brenner, who have taught the course in the past.

But Dahleh also said she thinks the purpose of the course has changed—and not necessarily in the right direction.

“It evolved into satisfying a ... requirement,” she said.

The course has a traditionally light workload, according to Anna M. Wagner ’11, who took it two years ago and was a teaching fellow in the class as a junior, when enrollment almost tripled.

Professors have added a laboratory component and homework assignments to supplement student presentations already structured into the course.

“I honestly don’t think it would hurt to make it a much more rigorous course,” said Wagner, who cited Computer Science 50—a demanding introductory course still taken by many students—as an appropriate model. “Make it much more intense and that way cut down on some of the students who are just taking it for an easy A.”

—Staff writer Radhika Jain can be reached at radhikajain@college.harvard.edu.

SEASMathematics