Tetreault’s Five Goals Lift Harvard to Comeback Victory Over Bears

women's lax attax
Meredith H. Keffer

25 Womens lacrosse previous action

The Harvard women’s lacrosse team hit the road and traveled to Providence, R.I., following a successful 3-1 homestand that included a six-goal comeback victory against New Hampshire that left the Crimson at .500.

Against Brown (5-5, 1-3 Ivy) last Friday at Stevenson Field, Harvard (5-4, 3-1) managed to make another comeback.

After falling behind, 7-2, the Crimson stole the momentum from Brown thanks to sophomore Danielle Tetreault’s five goals and defensive adjustments, grabbing a 12-9 win.

“We’ve been [making comebacks] a lot lately, I think because we’ve been having some slow starts,” sophomore Jennifer VanderMeulen said. “We were not going to lose to Brown because ... every Ivy game we come into with a fight and just refuse to lose.”

Tetreault came out of the gate ready to score.


Two minutes and 19 seconds into the first half, the midfielder put away the first point of the game on a free-position shot.

But the Bears responded with an unassisted goal just over a minute later, as the Harvard quad lacked its usual energy and vigor early in the game.

“We started out slowly, and Brown took advantage of that,” VanderMeulen said. “It’s not an excuse, but getting off the bus, we had a hard time getting started.”

Tetreault kept the Crimson in the game while her teammates livened up. She put Harvard back into the lead at 2-1 with another free-position score at the 4:57 mark.

“Danielle took the team on her back a little bit [Friday],” junior tri-captain Melanie Baskind said. “Especially at the beginning of the game when we weren’t doing well, she just said, ‘Enough is enough, time to start fighting back.’”

But Bears freshman Danielle Mastro countered Tetreault’s two goals with a pair of her own.

And Brown rallied to score four unanswered goals to grab a 7-2 lead, keeping Harvard scoreless for the majority of the half.

This year, the Crimson team has proven itself capable of comebacks and in the final 2:35 of the half, it did just that.

With one less player on the field due to a card, the Crimson racked up three goals as the final seconds of the half ticked away.

The half closed with Harvard trailing, 7-5, but with the momentum in the Crimson’s favor.


Recommended Articles