New Swiss Bakers Present to Allston

By Nathalie R. Miraval, Crimson Staff Writer

Allston residents munched on Swiss Challah, Pretzel Baguettes, and fresh Swiss Cheese at Wednesday’s Allston Civic Association meeting, in stark contrast to the serious and often tense tones of previous meetings related to Harvard's expansion in that community.

Thomas and Helene Stohr, dressed in bright red uniforms, pitched Swiss Bakers—a 14,000-square-foot commercial bakery that will house its production site in Allston—to residents Wednesday evening. Afterwards, community members unanimously approved the bakery for use of a retail space that used to house a car dealership.

“I welcome them into the community. I think they have a good philosophy for building relationships, and I’m excited to see where they’ll go in the next ten years,” said Alana Olsen, executive director for Allston Village Main Streets, an urban revitalization non-profit.

Moving the bakery’s headquarters from Reading, Mass. to 168 Western Ave. is part of an effort by the University to bring new tenants to Western Ave. after many business leases expired and University properties were left vacant amid Harvard’s efforts to construct the Allston Science Complex. Harvard has said that it would work to transform Western Ave. into a thriving “main street” since construction on the Science Complex was indefinitely halted in Dec. 2009 due to financial constraints. But Allston residents have repeatedly said that they have been disappointed by that effort, fueling tension between the University and local residents.

Now, Allston residents say having to deal with a bakery is a pleasant relief.

“I think it’s a great idea, it’s a good family thing,” said local resident Lenny Kelliher. “It’s one of the best ideas [Harvard] has had in a long time.”

“You’ll definitely be seeing me there,” interjected resident Bob Gale, patting his rotund belly.

Residents said they were also pleased to have access to a space promoting community and authentic Swiss baked goods, which they said would help create a family-friendly environment.

“There’s no infringing on dead space, and they’re not looking to get a liquor license,” said Kelliher, referring to tensions over whether Stone Hearth Pizza Co., another tenant secured by the University, should be granted a liquor license.

But some kinks still need to be worked out before the bakery can call Allston home. Because the owners are in the process of receiving approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority, no opening date has been set for the bakery. Additionally, store hours are yet to be determined, but the owners said the cafe will be open seven days a week, at least from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“I always say negative things about Harvard,” said resident Harry Nesdekidis. “But I congratulate Harvard on this choice.”

—Staff writer Nathalie R. Miraval can be reached at nmiraval@college.harvard.edu.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction.

CORRECTION: SEPT. 22, 2011

The Sept. 22 article "New Swiss Bakers Present to Allston" incorrectly identified the meeting where the presentation was held. It was an Allston Civic Association meeting, not an Allston Task Force meeting.

Harvard in the CityAllstonUniversity