Harvard Falls to Local Rival Despite Early Lead

Steven A Soto

Junior co-captain Scott Prozeller and eight other Harvard players each recorded at least one shot against BU. The Terriers outlasted the Crimson, 2-1, although Harvard edged its crosstown opponent in shots, 11-10.

As the Harvard men’s soccer team learned last night, the momentum of a game can shift drastically in less than 20 minutes.

In its first home game at Soldiers Field Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium since returning from California on Monday, the Crimson (2-5-1) was unable to protect its early lead against crosstown rivals Boston University (3-5-0), falling 2-1 last night.

In the 65th minute of play, the Terriers took the lead over Harvard for the first time when BU freshman defender Taylor Washington netted the game-winning goal past junior goalkeeper Brett Conrad, after receiving a cross from fellow freshman defender James Holler.

“These are two teams that know each other really well personnel-wise and tactically, because we see each other play so often,” Junot said. “I thought we had a good game plan in the first half.”

The Crimson started off the game on the right foot, ending a three-game scoring drought with a tally in the 29th minute of play.

Junior forward Zack Wolfenzon headed a cross from sophomore defender Ross Friedman past the Terriers’ goalkeeper to give the Crimson the early lead, as the ball drifted just out of the reach of Terriers freshman Nick Thomson.

“It felt good to finally get a first half goal,” Wolfenzon said. “Ross played a great ball in and I got my head on it.”

Following its first goal, the Crimson continued to press deep into the BU backfield, looking to pull away from its opponent.

Although the home side was able to create numerous opportunities at goal late in the first half, it came up just short each time.

In the 36th minute of play, Harvard junior co-captain Scott Prozeller missed a chance to give the Crimson a two-goal lead as he sent a shot over the crossbar.

Less than five minutes later, co-captain Tim Linden also looked poised to put BU in a 2-0 hole, when he received a through ball on the right flank of the Terrier defense.

But Linden failed to deliver his shot on target as the ball streaked just wide of the goal.

Sophomore Kyle Henderson led the team with three shots, two of which were on net.

In the first half, the Crimson outshot BU 5-4.

But the team’s offensive dominance was short-lived, as the Terriers’ freshman midfielder Cameron Souri tallied the equalizer off a threaded pass from junior forward Nick Prunier less than five minutes before halftime.


Recommended Articles