HUPD Arrests Trespasser in Lowell Dining Hall

By Julia K. Dean, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard University Police Department arrested a 17-year-old female and escorted her out of the Lowell House dining hall at 8:29 pm on Sunday night.

According to the HUPD log, officers were dispatched to respond to reported disturbances the woman was causing. When the responding officer ran her information, he found that she had an active no trespass warning for all Harvard University property.

The woman was arrested for violating the no trespass warning she had previously received from HUPD. A representative from HUPD could not be reached for comment on Monday evening.

The woman returned to the House on Monday afternoon, when she was escorted out by Lowell Building Manager Robert Sammonds, according to an email Lowell House Master Diana L. Eck sent to the House community. In her email, Eck wrote that the woman was also suspected of a theft and had previously been issued trespass warnings at Gund Hall, Weld Hall, and Leverett House.

On Sunday, the woman spoke with students in the Lowell dining hall and asked them for contact information for a Harvard undergraduate.

Lowell resident and Crimson arts exec Leanna B. Ehrlich ’14 interacted with the woman in the Lowell dining hall. According to Ehrlich, the woman asked her to look up the contact information of a Lowell sophomore, and to use her phone to call him.

Ehrlich said that she initially cooperated with the woman because she assumed that the woman was a student or a new dining hall employee.

In Eck’s email to Lowell residents, the House Master informed students of the incidents and cautioned them to be vigilant about whom they allow into University buildings and dorms.

Eck quoted Lowell Resident Dean Caitlin M. Casey ’03 to encourage students to be proactive in protecting “our urban campus.”

“I don’t think she’s a threat to our students but, as always, be aware. Stay safe today,” Eck wrote.

—Staff writer Julia K. Dean can be reached at juliadean@college.harvard.edu.

CrimeLowellHUPD