Men’s Soccer to Face Defending Ivy Champs

By Kurt T. Bullard, Contributing Writer

After opening conference play with a last-minute loss to Yale last Saturday, 2-1, the Harvard men’s soccer team (1-6-2, 0-1-0 Ivy) is looking to rebound against defending Ivy League champion Cornell (6-2-2, 0-1-0) this Saturday.

The Crimson travel to Ithaca for Saturday’s matchup winless in its last three games, hoping to add to the team’s lone win that came against UMass.

Cornell is also searching for its first conference win of the year. Last week, the Big Red fell to Penn, 1-0, in Philadelphia, ultimately done in by a Quaker goal in the 81st minute.

The Big Red got the best of Harvard in last year’s matchup in Cambridge, 3-1, en route to the Ivy League title.  Cornell is striving for a similar result on Saturday, looking to deny the Crimson its first conference win since the 2010 season.

“Every year Cornell brings a very gritty, very hardworking, high pressure team,” senior co-captain Kevin Harrington said. “Last year we couldn’t deal with their pressure and lost the ball in transition.”

Harvard looked poised to notch their fist conference win this past Saturday, taking a 1-0 lead into the 87th minute against Yale. But the Bulldogs scored two goals in the last three minutes to shock the Crimson.

“It was a heartbreaking loss,” Harrington said. “[Definitely] the most devastating loss I’ve ever been a part of.”

Harvard has struggled on offense this season, averaging less than a goal per game. No member of the Crimson squad has scored more than once this season.

“We have to continue to keep better possession in the attacking half,” head coach Pieter Lehrer said. “We [need to] try to get one or two more passes … and be in a good position to finish it.”

A sputtering offense does not bode well for Harvard heading into Saturday. The Big Red defense has been daunting, conceding less than half a goal per game and recording four shutouts, both of which lead the Ancient Eight.

Senior defenseman Ross Friedman has been one of the shining spots this year for the Crimson. He has assisted on four of Harvard’s seven goals during this year’s campaign, including on senior forward A.J. Agha’s lone goal against the Bulldogs.

“Ross works tirelessly,” Lehrer said. “He has a phenomenal will to push the game and fight for every little detail.”

Despite its poor record, the Crimson has had a chance to tie or win almost every game. Harvard has come within a goal in four of its six losses on the season, including Saturday’s last-minute loss in New Haven.

“Our biggest focus going forward…is keeping ourselves mentally engaged,” said Harrington. “That’s why we fell apart [against Yale]. Hopefully we can be more successful when the times get tough.”

Leading the Ancient Eight in corner kicks and shots, Cornell has been able to apply consistent offensive pressure throughout the year. Yet, the Big Red has struggled to finish on offense. Cornell averages only one goal per game, good for seventh in the conference.

However, this year the Crimson will not have to deal with arguably the best player in last year’s matchup, Daniel Haber. The former Ivy League Player of the Year forwent his senior year with the Big Red to play in Cyprus First Division. In his final year with Cornell, Haber amassed 18 goals and seven assists and was nominated for the Mac-Hermann trophy, the highest individual award in NCAA men’s soccer.

This year, a three-pronged attack leads the Cornell attack. Seniors Patrick Slogic and Jake Rinow and junior Conor Goepel have each recorded a team-high two goals on the season. Slogic and Rinow have also added two assists apiece.

“The key for us [against Cornell] will be to be safe with the ball,” Harrington said. “[We can’t] lose possession in dangerous areas.”

Junior defenseman Peter Chodas also looms large as a threat for the Big Red. Chodas won Ivy League Player of the Week co-honors earlier in the year, assisting on a goal in a 2-1 win over Binghamton and providing the lone goal in a 1-0 victory over St. Joseph’s.

Harvard is looking for a spark on offense to overcome Cornell’s superb defense.

The team may look to Harrington and junior Hiroki Kobayashi, who have been the most productive offensive forces for the Crimson so far this year, with six and five shots on goal, respectively.

“We’re creating some very good chances on goal,” Lehrer said. “Sometimes just willing the ball into the goal [off the shin or forehead] is the way that starts to turn things around.”

Men's Soccer