Field Hockey Unable to Overcome Early Deficit

By Theresa C. Hebert, Contributing Writer

While the rest of the world flocked to Cambridge for the Head of the Charles Regatta, Harvard field hockey (5-6, 1-3 Ivy) departed for a pair of games in New York this weekend against Ivy opponent Cornell (7-5, 2-2) and Colgate (3-12, 1-3 Patriot League).

HARVARD 5, COLGATE 2

The Harvard offense came alive against the Raiders on Sunday as the team scored more goals than it has in any game all season, defeating Colgate 5-2.

Freshman Marissa Balleza gave the Crimson an early lead that it would never give up as she scored twice in the first half. Her first goal came only ten minutes into the game, off of a pass from Catriona McDonald that shot past Raider goalkeeper Caitlin Zoelt.

Balleza then increased Harvard’s lead 20 minutes later off a hard shot from the top of the circle, after she stole the ball from a Colgate defender.

Senior forward Rachael Rosenfeld stole the show in the second half, scoring two goals in under two minutes to increase the Crimson lead. The first goal was a tip in from a pass dished by sophomore back Elizabeth Jacobson, and the second came from a pass Rosenfeld received from junior midfielder Caitlin Rea across the circle.

“We’re really focusing on scoring” junior forward Noel Painter said. “We’ve certainly improved in the past few games but it’s going to need to get even better for the next few games.”

Harvard junior forward Kaitlyn Boudah also scored in the second half off an assist from McDonald.

Seniors Kelsey Jensen and Halle Biggar scored the two Raider goals. Jensen’s goal in the first half came off of a corner in which Colgate set up a fake shot by Rebecca Libutti, while Eliana Brown dished a pass to Jensen who snuck it past Crimson senior goalie Jenn Hatfield’s pads. Biggar converted on a rebound following a tough stop by the goalkeeper.

Hatfield was a force in the net as a late Colgate attack sent more action her way. The senior had six saves in the game, her third highest total this season.

“We know we have the ability to step up and play our game,” Jacobson said. “I think we definitely proved that this weekend after coming back from the [Cornell] loss.”

CORNELL 3, HARVARD 2

It was a Balleza battle as sisters Hannah, a Big Red senior, and Marissa, a Crimson freshman, took the field to face off against one another in an Ancient Eight League matchup. In an offense-heavy game, both sisters were very involved in their team’s respective attacks.

Going into the game with a two game win streak, Harvard was prepared to face a tough conference opponent in Cornell, which was also coming off a three-game win streak of its own.

Hannah Balleza had all three assists in the Big Red’s 3-2 victory, with goals scored by Marisa Siergiej and Katy Weeks. All three came in the first half, putting the Crimson in an early hole.

Penalty corners were an issue for Harvard, as both of Siergiej’s goals came off of corners. Over the course of the game, Harvard gave up nine penalty corners, compared to Cornell’s four.

A second half offensive push gave the Crimson a chance to come back, but the team fell just short. Of Harvard’s six losses, four have been by only one goal.

“There was just something missing and I guess it just took us the first half to realize that we needed to finally step up” Jacobson said. “We definitely could have put up a bigger fight and at halftime we just realized we needed to pull together again and really focus on our goals.”

Marissa Balleza had an assist for the Crimson as she dished the ball to fellow freshman forward Sarah Finnemore in a two-on-one breakaway. The two have had a strong showing thus far in their first collegiate seasons, with both earning Ivy League rookie of the week honors. Balleza has six goals on the season and leads the team in overall points, while Finnemore has contributed four goals for Harvard.

Painter also scored for the Crimson as she slipped the ball past Big Red goalkeeper Carolyn Horner with a reverse stick shot. Freshman Sophie van Weede had the assist.

Despite a few last minute scoring attempts, Harvard was unable to convert on net as the Cornell defense held strong. Horner especially prevented the Crimson from coming back, as Jacobson managed a hard shot in the final ten minutes, earning the win for the Big Red.

Field Hockey