Men's Swimming Finishes Fourth as ECAC Host

By Ty Aderhold, Contributing Writer

In what would be the final meet for some Harvard seniors, a partial squad of the men’s swimming and diving team finished fourth at the ECAC Championships this past weekend at Blodgett Pool.

With some members of the team not competing because of the Ivy League Championships taking place next weekend, the Crimson finished fourth out of a field of 19 total teams.

“We were more interested in our performance as a group of Harvard guys, rather than to the other teams competing,” co-captain Owen Wurzbacher said. “Given that it wasn’t our full team, we were really happy with the fourth-place finish.”

Harvard won the 200-medley relay with strong swims by junior Jack Pretto on backstroke, Wurzbacher on breaststroke, senior Ryan Cutter on butterfly, and junior Will Brophy as the freestyle anchor.

“[The four of us] were pretty excited about that race,” Brophy said. “We knew we had the guys on it to do really well and to potentially win it. When it came down to it in the finals we just stepped up.”

For seniors Wurzbacher and Cutter, the win came in the last meet of their Harvard swimming careers.

“Jack and I we really wanted to get that win for the two seniors on the relay because they have put a ton of time and effort into our team,” Brophy said. “[Jack and I] knew that relay was just really big for the seniors…and it was amazing to do it for those two because they have worked really hard and deserved it.”

The 200-medley win was only a small portion of the weekend for Pretto and Brophy. The two juniors both swam in five total finals: three relays and two individual races, which amounts to 14 total swims over the three days for each of them.

“I wasn’t feeling great the whole way, my legs were getting tired and I was starting to have trouble with my breathing,” Brophy said. “I just tried to keep the team in mind, and I had the mentality of just doing whatever the team needed me to do this weekend.”

Brophy took home second place in the 50 freestyle, and Pretto took third in the 100-meter backstroke.

“Jack had great swims all weekend, and Brophy was really impressive, particularly in some of the relays,” Wurzbacher said. “[Pretto and Brophy] performed well across the board and really led the team.”

Freshman Robert Doles also had a standout weekend, winning the 400 individual medley and taking fourth in the 200 individual medley.

“We also had some great swims from some of our younger guys,” Wurzbacher said. “We had a lot of our freshman in there this weekend. Evan Zheng stepped up and swam on the A-relay the other night, and Robert Doles swam really well in his individual events and the medley event.”

Sophomore George Doran placed second in the three-meter dive, while sophomore Reed Snyder placed third in the 500 freestyle.

“It was a really wonderful evening and great overall weekend,” Wurzbacher said. “Just to have all our teammates here supporting us was amazing.”

While the meet served to highlight many of the young swimmers on Harvard’s team, it also was the final meet for the seniors that swam.

“Obviously, one meet can’t sum up a career,” Brophy said. “But the seniors did their best, and they have put their heart and soul into our team. I know everyone appreciates that. They have had a huge impact on the team and have led the team in a great direction.”

Just as Brophy says the seniors have had a huge influence on the team, Wurzbacher can attest to the impact the team has had on him.

“This sport and this team have meant everything to me in my four years here,” the co-captain said. “I know I will never have another opportunity to be on a team like Harvard men’s swimming and diving again, and I am very thankful to have had this opportunity.”

The meet served as closure for these seniors, and as a time to look back on their careers at Harvard.

“Reflecting on the four years of work that all of [the seniors] have put in and all we have accomplished together just made it an overwhelming weekend,” Wurzbacher said. “This was the last chance we had to compete and represent Harvard.”

Men's Swimming