Men's Volleyball Can't Repeat at Laval

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

The No. 13 Harvard men’s volleyball team could not follow up yesterday’s win against Laval University in Quebec. The Crimson (1-2) dropped its second exhibition match across the border against the host Red and Gold, 3-1.

Although Laval came out on top in the first match, 25-15, Harvard was able to come back and battle in the second set to win, 25-17.

The real challenge in the match came in the third set, when the teams battled to a 33-35 finish, with the Red and Gold ultimately taking the set.

The final set of the game also went over the usual 25-point cap, with Laval winning the game, 27-25, in the fourth set.

The White brothers led Harvard’s offense. Junior DJ White paced the Crimson with 14 kills, while freshman Casey White added 10. DJ White also recorded 13 digs on the floor, giving him a double-double for the night. Freshman setter Nick Bendell aided the team with 35 assists. The Crimson hit .181 overall.

Sophomore Branden Clemens added to the defensive effort for Harvard with 13 digs on the night. Bendell contributed 12 throughout the game, and co-captain Chris Gibbons dug 11.  Harvard recorded more digs than Laval, with 64 compared to its opponent’s 58.

The Crimson’s blocking game was led by junior Caleb Zimmick with four, and senior Kyle Rehkemper and Clemens recorded three and two, respectively.  Throughout the game, Harvard was able to out block its opponent, with 12 on the night to the Red and Gold’s eight.

The Red and Gold did out hit the Crimson, recording 54 kills to Harvard’s 51. For Laval, Oliver Jannini led the offense with 26. Sylvain Beneix added 12.

Vincent Thibault-B posted a game-high 50 assists, helping Laval’s offense to record its 130 attacks throughout the game. The Red and Gold hit .238 overall.

On the defensive end, Thibault-B led the team with 15 digs, followed Beneix, who had 12, and Jannini with 11.

Staff writer Ariel Smolik-Valles can be reached at asmolikvalles@college.harvard.edu.

Men's VolleyballGame Stories