Former Manchester United Coach Hired by HBS

By Forrest K. Lewis, Crimson Staff Writer

Sir Alex C. Ferguson will bring his 26 years of coaching and managing experience at Manchester United Football Club to the Harvard Business School this spring as a teacher for its Executive Education program, the school announced Thursday.

The 72-year-old retired manager will begin his tenure as a lecturer in the new “Business of Entertainment, Media and Sports” program taking place from May 7-10. In his new role, Ferguson will lecture to senior executives from around the world, providing insight into his successful strategies as a coach and leader.

The HBS Executive Education program includes over 80 open-enrollment and 60 custom classes, attended by over 9,700 business executives last year.

Ferguson is the most successful manager in English Premier League history. Over the course of nearly three decades, he helped lead Man. U. to 38 trophies, including 13 league titles and two UEFA Champions League titles.

Ferguson’s arrival comes nearly a year after his announced retirement from his managing position. This will not be his first time at Harvard—during his time as the longest serving manager in Man. U. history, he became familiar with the campus after taking a tour of the Yard in 2011 with his team when they visited America to play the New England Revolution in Gillette Stadium. Additionally, Business School professor Anita Elberse released an in-depth case study last year called “Sir Alex Ferguson: Managing Manchester United.” Following the report, Ferguson visited Harvard as a guest professor for several of Elberse’s classes.

Elberse expressed excitement at the opportunity to reunite with Ferguson in the upcoming months.

“We look forward to welcoming Sir Alex Ferguson on the HBS campus to share his remarkable leadership journey, and contribute to our Executive Education participants’ ability to make a profound difference in the world,” Elberse said in a press release about his appointment.

Ferguson echoed Elberse’s excitement about the opportunity in the press release.

“I’m delighted to have the opportunity and privilege to contribute to such a respected center of excellence,” Ferguson said. “The time I have already spent at Harvard has been a stimulating experience and I look forward to developing my relationship and activities with the students, faculty and friends of the Harvard Business School community.”

—Staff writer Forrest K. Lewis can be reached at forrest.lewis@thecrimson.com.

Men's SoccerHarvard Business SchoolEuropeUniversity News