BRIEF: Ninth Inning Rally Lifts Baseball Over UMass-Lowell

Senior Matt Hink, pictured here against Boston College at Fenway Park, went four innings in Harvard's 4-3 win over UMass-Lowell. It was the righty's first career start.
Senior Matt Hink, pictured here against Boston College at Fenway Park, went four innings in Harvard's 4-3 win over UMass-Lowell. It was the righty's first career start. By Ryosuke Takashima
By Stephen J. Gleason, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard baseball team hasn’t exactly had a flair for the dramatic this season. In fact, the batsmen have only played three one-run Ivy League games, with all of them coming against Brown. However, on Thursday evening against UMass-Lowell, the Crimson offense came through when its back was against the wall, scoring four runs in the top of the ninth to down the River Hawks, 4-3. It was the final nonconference game of the season for Harvard (17-21, 5-11 Ivy League).

Holding a 3-0 edge, the River Hawks (20-17, 8-6 America East) summoned right-hander Max Frawley from the bullpen to try to pick up the game’s final three outs against a Crimson offense that entered the frame having mustered just four hits. Harvard shortstop Drew Reid had other plans. The senior ripped a double to start off the frame. Back-to-back walks to sophomore catcher Devan Peterson and second baseman Chad Minato loaded the bases, put the tying run on first, and ended the day for UMass-Lowell’s sixth hurler of the day.

The Crimson broke through with a lift from an unexpected bat. Harvard skipper Bill Decker called on seldom-used utilityman Jake Forte to pinch hit for junior outfielder Austin Black. Forte, who was a backup quarterback on the Harvard football team for his first three falls in Cambridge, entered the at-bat hitless in six collegiate plate appearances. The Dunwoody, Ga., native singled through the hole between shortstop and third base, driving in Reid and getting the Crimson within two runs.

Designated hitter Patrick Robinson delivered the big hit that the team has come to expect out of the sophomore. Robinson, who leads Harvard in batting average, home runs, runs batted in, and slugging percentage, doubled to drive home pinch runners Chad Minato and Chase Aldridge and tie the game at three. With still nobody out and two runners in scoring position, the Crimson appeared to be in prime position to break the contest open.

UMass-Lowell right-handed pitcher Nick Rand struck out sophomores Patrick McColl and John MacLean but uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Forte to score and put the guests up a run. Freshman right-hander Grant Stone soldiered through this second inning of work in the bottom of the ninth, working around two hits to pick up the win.

Senior right-hander Matt Hink, playing in his final nonconference game got the ball for Harvard. The Ballwin, Mo., native threw 71 pitches in a solid four innings in which he surrendered two runs, both coming in his final inning of work, and struck out one. It was the first career start for Hink, who spent his first three years on campus as a first baseman.

The River Hawks pushed their lead to three in the sixth inning after sophomore right fielder Russ Olive doubled, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored on a John Polichetti sac fly. The bullpen trio of Stone, junior Garrett Rupp, and freshman JT Bernard surrendered just one run in the game’s final five innings. Stone led the way with four punchouts.

—Staff writer Stephen J. Gleason can be reached at stephen.gleason@thecrimson.com.

Baseball