Recruiting Spotlight: James Moore

By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

I took the opportunity tonight to watch Harvard men’s basketball recruit (committed to the future class of 2014) James Moore, a senior at Jesuit High (Calif.), as his Marauders took on the Kennedy Cougars at his home gym.

Moore’s coach Greg Harcos had heavily praised the 6′8 forward’s ability to shoot the three ball when Moore announced his commitment to Harvard in early December, and he did not disappoint tonight. Launching the ball with a high, smooth release, Moore knocked down a pair of three pointers on consecutive possessions in the game’s opening minutes. The second and third quarter each found Moore hitting a clean triple, the latter coming off an immediate catch-and-shoot. Moore’s only missed three-pointer was his last attempt, a transition three in the third quarter.

The tallest player on either team, Moore was not very quick in transition or closing out on shooters, but he took advantage of his size to tip multiple jump shots on defense. His main role on offense was as a perimeter player. Moore was unsuccessful on his two inside shots in the first half and did not look comfortable attacking the basket. In the third quarter, he did receive the ball in the post and spin for a layup, adding on the free throw. Overall, Moore spent much more time on the wing than in the post, and his style is not particularly physical.

Moore needs to add weight to his relatively thin frame, and he does not use his body as much as simply relying on his height and long arms to grab rebounds. Though neither Moore nor the Harvard coaching staff has commented on his future role, his skill set appear similar to that of current freshman Jeff Georgatos, who was also touted as a sharpshooter coming out of high school. However, Georgatos has seen limited minutes so far this season for the Crimson.

Men's Basketball