Women's Hockey Drops Contest at No. 7 Minnesota

Sophomore Laura Bellamy, shown here in earlier action, couldn't keep Harvard from falling to No. 7 Minnesota, 3-0 this week.
By B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer

Power plays proved to be the Achilles heel for the Harvard women’s hockey team (4-3-2, 4-2-2 ECAC) in its 3-0 loss at No. 7 Minnesota tonight. The match was the first in a two-games series between the No. 9 Crimson and the Golden Gophers (9-5-0, 5-5-0 WCHA) and provided Harvard’s first non-conference loss of the season.

Minnesota struck in the first period, despite the Crimson recording an 11-4 edge in shots, establishing an early lead over Harvard after taking advantage of a power-play opportunity. After sophomore Hilary Hayssen was whistled for slashing, Mira Jalosuo capitalized on the advantage off assists from teammates Amanda Kessel and Becky Kortum.

After finding the back of the net in the first frame, the Golden Gophers did not wait long to strike again, finding success just 1:33 into the second period after another power-play opportunity. Jen Schoullis translated passes from Megan Bozek and Kelly Seeler into a second goal for Minnesota.

Schoullis inflicted further damage in the final period, notching a third goal for the Gophers off of a pass from Sarah Erickson.

The Crimson went 0-for-4 on the power play, and sophomore Laura Bellamy had 23 saves in the loss. Harvard’s penalty kill unit remains the worst in the country, successfully killing just 67.6 percent of its penalties and having allowed 12 man-up goals already this season.

The two opponents finish the series on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Ritter Arena.

Women's Ice HockeySports Blog