Get your Yale Football Tickets Tomorrow!

By Madeleine Smith, Crimson Staff Writer

As Harvard students we’re all experts in procrastination, but there’s one thing you don’t want to put off.

Tomorrow is the last day for undergraduates to pick up free tickets for the 127th playing of The Game at Harvard Stadium on Nov. 20.

With the matchup only two weeks away, there’s just enough time to catch up on the history of one of the oldest rivalries in college football.

The first meeting between Harvard and Yale took place in New Haven, Conn. in 1875 and ended with the Crimson pulling out the 4-0 victory (at the time the only way to score was on the equivalent of a PAT). Since then, the Bulldogs have gained a 65-53-8 advantage in the series.

The matchup wasn’t referred to as “The Game” until 1898 in a letter between Harvard’s captain and head coach. The name was then made popular in the mid-1900s, when press coverage of the rivalry increased.

To get in on the tradition, make sure to pick up a free ticket at the Murr Center Ticket Office or Bright Hockey Arena Ticket Window sometime between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. tomorrow. After then, tickets will be available for purchase.

FootballSports Blog