Rugby Welcomes French Opponent

By Brian A. Campos, Crimson Staff Writer

It’s not often that a club sports team gets the chance to play against an international opponent. This Friday, the Harvard Rugby Football Club will get the rare opportunity to host France’s Toulouse Université Club at the Soldiers Field Complex, Cumnock Field #4. The match will start at 4:30pm.

“This is the most interesting match because we played them once before when we went on a tour last year during spring break,” said Match Secretary for the Harvard Rugby Football Club Jonathan Rossi. We played exhibition matches in Barcelona and Toulouse, and Toulouse was our best competition in France.”

Just as Harvard's club took an international trip last spring break, Toulouse Université is currently on its American tour, and, given the history between these two teams, Cambridge was an obvious destination for the French team.

“The team is fortunately on tour and we were able to host them,” Rossi said. “It should be a great match tomorrow. I’m expecting it to be very close.”

The Harvard rugby team is coming off a substantial 20-12 win over Middlebury College. Earlier in the season, the squad lost against McGill University. The two schools maintain the oldest rugby rivalry in North America.

Harvard's co-captains, juniors Teddy Barron and Jonny Cummins, are no strangers to multinational competition. Barron has represented the Unites States in international tournaments, while Cummins is originally from England.

“International rugby is very different,” Rossi said. “We’re cherishing this chance to play against an international opponent because in America, rugby players don’t grow up with the sport, while in France and Spain, it’s part of their lives.”

While there is a lot of excitement for the matchup, the forecast won’t be as cheerful.

“Forecast is, in fact, rain, but we will be playing regardless. Seating for guests will be available,” Rossi said.

Sports Blog