Water Polo Captain Titled 2010 CWPA Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Egen Atkinson '10 of the men's Water Polo team was awarded for his contributions out of the pool last week as he was named the 2010 CWPA Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
By Christina C. Mcclintock, Crimson Staff Writer

In the largest water polo conference in the country, no one made a bigger splash when he was out of the pool than Egen Atkinson, the recently graduated co-captain of the 2009 Harvard team. On June 18, the two-meter defender was named the Collegiate Water Polo Association’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

“I’d say that he’s someone we all looked up to,” said classmate Nikhil Balaraman, who will live with Atkinson next year. “There’s no one more deserving…I think we all saw it coming. He’s a very deserving recipient.”

The award, established only a year ago, is based on a points system that awards achievements in community service, academics, and individual excellence in water polo. The first two categories were the key for Atkinson. Academically, he was a four-time CWPA Scholar-Athlete and a three-time Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches All-Academic Pick.

An economics concentrator headed to medical school, Atkinson managed to maintain a 3.821 grade point average despite balancing schoolwork, Division I water polo, and numerous community service commitments, which included Health Volunteers Overseas, the Mission Hill After School Program, and Unite for Sight.

“He never really seems to have any time,” Balaraman said. “Somehow he seems to get it all done even though it seems like there’s no time left.”

Balaraman says that Atkinson is currently on a community service trip in Honduras with Unite for Sight.

“Instead of going on vacation, he’s gone to help different people,” Balaraman said. “It’s helped him find a passion for medicine…The community service has been more that just a line on a resume—it’s been a way for him to gain meaningful and fulfilling experiences. It’s amazing that he fits it into his schedule. It’s even more amazing that it’s something he’s so passionate about.”

Men's Water PoloSports Blog