Weekend Preview: Athletics Hit the Road

Men's soccer, 2-0 on the young season, takes on another ranked opponent tonight—traveling to Storrs, Conn. to face No. 10 Connecticut.
By Madeleine Smith, Crimson Staff Writer

While most students are just finally getting settled back into life on campus, Harvard athletics is hitting the road. In fact, every in-season team with matchups this weekend is playing outside of Cambridge.

No. 6 men’s soccer is looking to extend its winning streak following last Saturday’s electrifying game against Stanford and a mid-week victory over Massachusetts, as it takes on No. 10 Connecticut in Storrs, Conn. tonight.

Meanwhile, the Crimson women’s soccer team has headed down south to Florida for a pair of weekend games. Harvard dropped the first contest to Central Florida, 3-0, last night in its first loss of the season but will try to bounce back and improve on its 1-1-1 record against South Florida tomorrow.

Crimson men’s water polo and women’s volleyball have also left town for at the Princeton and Fordham Invitationals, respectively. The volleyball team split last night’s two matchups and will face two more opponents today, while water polo will take to the pool for its first game this afternoon. Harvard water polo’s weekend schedule is challenging to say the least, with contests against three nationally-ranked teams, including No. 17 Cal Baptist, No. 18 Princeton, and No. 13 Santa Clara.

Crimson women’s field hockey is also trying to defend its currently unblemished record against Maine and Vermont at the Sheraton Catamount Classic.

Two Harvard squads are also making their season debuts this weekend with sailing at a series of regattas across the Northeast and men’s golf in Princeton, N.J. for a Harvard-Yale-Princeton matchup.

Crimson sports fans looking for a game closer to home may be out of luck for now, but with the year’s first football game against Holy Cross at Harvard Stadium next Saturday night, it may be worth the wait.

Sports Blog