Are You Ready for Some Football?

Tonight's opener marks the fourth straight year that Harvard football begins its home season under the lights. The Crimson will take on Holy Cross at 7 p.m.
By Stephanie E. Herwatt, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Stadium is well known for its likeness to the Roman Coliseum. But Harvard Stadium filled with thousands of cheering fans? And with two football teams battling it out under the stars and the bright lights?

It’s not only war. It’s something magical.

“It’s going to be something else when we step out there,” said sophomore running back Treavor Scales. “I have a feeling that when those lights come on, everybody [will know] it’s time to go.”

The Crimson is hoping to start off strong as Saturday night’s game marks the opening of its season. Selected by the national media in a preseason poll as the likely winners of the Ivy League, Harvard will first test itself against reigning Patriot League champion Holy Cross (1-1).

“[This contest is] a chance to find out what kind of football team we are,” Crimson coach Tim Murphy said. “We think we have a chance to be a good team, but that’s why you play the games. You’ve got to go out and prove it.”

But the Harvard squad doesn’t want to do it alone.

Almost a year ago, 17,263 excited fans packed into the Harvard Stadium in the home opener under the lights and cheered on the Crimson to a 24-21 victory over Brown. This year, Harvard hopes to see a similar turnout and result.

“We love the support, we really do, especially [in] the night game,” said senior running back Gino Gordon.

“We’re excited for this season,” Scales continued. “[We want to] make sure everyone comes out.”

The 7 p.m. kick-off time not only marks a new season for the Crimson squad, but a new season for Harvard fans. Go out to support your team, and let the magic of Saturday night football continue.

FootballSports Blog