Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

Top Recruit Smith Commits To Harvard

By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

The Crimson confirmed today that men’s basketball coach Tommy Amaker has secured a verbal commitment from 2011 big man Kenyatta Smith.

The No. 13 center in the nation according to Scout.com, Smith, a senior at Flintridge Prep School (La Canada Flintridge, Calif.) chose Harvard over Vanderbilt and league rival Penn.

“It was just a great visit. I love the campus; I love the people, everything—just beautiful,” the 6'8, 255-lb Smith said while in attendance at the Crimson football team’s opener against Holy Cross Saturday night.

“I thought about [visiting other schools], but I’ve been to Penn before. I saw the campus and everything, and I just didn’t feel the connection that I did here,” Smith said of his first visit to the area. “I just love Boston as a city.”

Smith sounded unfazed by Harvard’s lack of long-standing men’s basketball success.

“We haven’t had a lot of history of winning, but that’s what I want to be a part of,” Smith said. “I want to start a history of winning, a tradition. I want to be there when that first happens—and I know it’s going to happen. It’s coming soon, and I want to be a part of it.”

Giving Amaker a much-needed front court boost, Smith joins Minnesota forward Jonah Travis in the Crimson’s future class of 2015. Prospects Andre Hollins, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Steve Moundou-Missi also took in the football game.

Men's BasketballSports Blog