Harvard Gains Prized XC Recruit

By Kenny A. Lee, Contributing Writer

High school senior Billy Orman, who finished sixth at the prestigious Foot Locker Cross Country Championships in 2010, has committed to Harvard and will be attending the college next fall. With one of the most highly rated cross country recruits under its belt, the Crimson has strengthened its young core of distance-running talent for years to come.

The interesting thing about Orman is that he will be moving to a whole new world when he sets foot in Harvard Yard. Tuba City, Ariz., his hometown, features desert-like conditions, an elevation of nearly 5000 feet, and a population less than 10000. This is much different from the freezing temperatures, sea-level elevation, and 100,000+ population of Cambridge, Mass.

In high school, Orman qualified for the Foot Locker nationals meet both his junior and senior years. He also won the Arizona state cross country meet and was recently named Gatorade Cross Country Athlete of the Year for Arizona. His PRs are impressive—9:04.97 (3200m) and 4:19.60 (1600m)—and both ESPNRise and MaxPreps regard him as one of the top distance runners in the nation. The Crimson is happy that Orman is bringing his talents to Cambridge.

As Harvard continues to build its cross country program, attracting some of the premier long-distance runners from around the nation, it will be better able to compete against the elite teams in the Ivy League and the NCAAs.

Track and Cross CountrySports Blog